Wireless FM transmitter

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

Wireless FM transmitter

Post by AX_Man »

Since I beleive the UK law has been relaxed in December to allow wireless FM transmitters, I was wondering if anyone could comment on if they've found them any good.
I'm think of these things:
http://tinyurl.com/2n7fn2

You plug it into your cigarette lighter and then connect a USB memory stick into it. Choose an available FM frequency and it will play your music (if recorded as MP3 format) through your car stereo.
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

On the whole they work very well.

I have a cheap iPod transmitter which struggles to transmit right to the other end of the car (a Pug 807) where the antenna is, which means we frequently have to retune it.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

If you don't leave your area much, they're great because you can set it to an empty area on the radio and you'll generally not have to change it.
Start moving around the country a bit though and you'll be reprogramming it like a looney.

Thankfully now I have a Xantia SX so I can connect directly to the aux jack on the radio for crystal clear sound.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I tried one that plugged into my MP3 player; first time i tried it, the signal was that weak i needed the volume at 20...2nd time was fine...3rd time it packed up.

It's reward was to live in my wheelie bin for 2 weeks until the bin was emptied... Just bit the bullet and bought an MP3 stereo - Aldi were doing them (memory stick/MMC card) for £40 (about £50 cheaper than mine)earlier this week..by the time I decided to get one, they'd sold out!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

My ex work mate sent me his to try as he got a proper kit for his Ipod, this device is from the Argos book at thirty quid it would seem and I used it with a £20 wee mp3 player (that actually only cost us £2.50 from Argos, just a cheapie for when me and the other half go to paris tomorrow morning)... well anyway using it with that I cant say I was that impressed to be honest, and sent it back to my mate in St Helens.

It has certainly made my mind up about staying away from that side of technology but again this wasnt a fancy Ipod so I cant comment on that.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(