citroen xantia td 1.9 sx won't start.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stratblue
My Cars:

citroen xantia td 1.9 sx won't start.

Post by stratblue »

Hi all.

We had a cold spell in the UK and now my xantia won't start. I've charged the battery and tightened the terminals, the engine turns over and almost started once but that's all. The dashboard stop lights come on permanently and the LHM level indicator is really high http://www.fretbored.co.uk/LHMlevel.jpg. I'm a bit reluctant to do the easy start thing in case something else is wrong. Any ideas chaps?

Nick.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Try the glow plugs, this is the normal first port of call on any non starting diesel.

regards
Slim
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Not many things to check if ytou've checked out the glow plugs:

fuel cut off plunger on the pump

Air is getting into the fuel circuit pipework

Purge the pipework with the priming bulb and check how secure everything
is including the leak off pipes off the injectors. Also give the car a full whack
of cranking power with secure feed from another running car with jump leads
to get the engine spinning!! If you're getting fuel in it will run unless of course
the engine's compression is down...

Andrew
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Hydraulic light is activated by the pressure switch as well as the reservoir level - so will be on while the engine is not running.

Glowplugs normally fail one after the other at a close interval. The engine will probably start on 3 without any real problem but a bit of smoke - 2 is difficult but possible and one - nearly impossible. This means that if the starting has been getting worse - its likely to be glowplugs - but a sudden fault is not.

They can be tested in situ with a test lamp - disconnect the lead from the top and connect one side to the top terminal - and the other to earth - including a power source somewhere of course. They take about 10 amps or so and either work or don't - no gradual failure (unless metered with a sensitive meter which might give some strange readings)

The other common culprit is air in the system. If you have a Bosch pump the leakoff pipes can cause starting problems - Roto-diesels just leak and smell.

Diesels do tend to need a good battery - as the glowplugs take a considerable current and the thing needs to turn at a reasonable speed to build up enough compression and resultant heat for ignition. The pump also produces better atomised fuel spray if its turning at a reasonable rate.
jeremy
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The LHM indicator on the tank is only relevant when the car is running and on the highest setting. At this setting the maximum amount of fluid is in the system so the minimum amount is in the tank. With the car any lower than full height the level will appear high. The LHM is a red herring, or is it green?

Glow plugs have got to be prime suspect. It'll probably start with a tow but towing is dodgy because you would have no brakes until the engine starts.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Discourse on diesel starting probs here

Discourse on changing Xantia TD glowplugs here

:lol:
Richard W
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Not quite true... I have tested suspect glow plugs in the past on the bench, and on more than one occasion, seen several that don't glow right at the tip, but do so in the middle of the bulb area. These will cause difficult starting nevertheless FWIW.
Glow plugs either work, or they dont...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

A sluggish battery will rarely start a Diesel - they need a very quick turnover to get them started.

A possible trial to see if the glowplugs are "on their way out" - don't just wait until the light goes out - wait another 10 seconds later as the glowplugs are still lit. If still no joy, then run the usual glowplug tests as detailed above...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Over many years of use of sometimes of less than healthy diesels [indirect injection], I habitually give the XUD a double dose of pre-heat on pre zero C cold mornings. That is to say, the first dose until the light goes out, and then a second during which they invariably start at the first compression stroke.
A possible trial to see if the glowplugs are "on their way out" - don't just wait until the light goes out - wait another 10 seconds later as the glowplugs are still lit. If still no joy, then run the usual glowplug tests as detailed above..
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

The reasoning in waiting is that TD's have the "postglow" function, so the plugs still stay energised after the light goes out. The way it decides to turn them of is a little more complicated..like x seconds, or greater than y throttle for z seconds...

Giving them a "double shuffle" is probably easier as most diesel owners watch the light like a hawk!