ZX Central locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sl4yer
My Cars:

ZX Central locking

Post by Sl4yer »

The central locking on my ZX has recently packed up (totally!). As first I suspected the wires from the door to the dash, but my local garage has checked these and said they're fine (one of the electric windows wouldn't work from the driver's side, leading me to suspect the wiring, but this has been traced to a dodgy switch).

The CL has never worked well from the plip since I've had it (the driver's door motor didn't seem to be able to lock it) but has always worked from the key. Suddenly it's dead, with no response either from the key or the plip.

Reading the info on this forum, I suspect the CL control unit has packed up. I've checked it's 12V feed, which is OK. All the contacts on the connector block are fine. The alarm still sets OK with the plip (with or without the CL box connected).

Am I likely to be on the right track? And if so, has anybody got a spare CL control unit to sell? :)

Thanks,

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Dead sure the CL unit is dead ?
If its loated in the center box, there is high possibility that an earth has failed. Lift up the carpetting - and look for bolts with lots of wires bolted into the body sheeting. Some of the wires may even have snapped off by the copper rotten away completely.

Thats what I've seen on BX'es anyway.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Thanks for the quick reply Anders.

It's behind the dash on my car (next to the fuse box). Although I must admit I never checked the earth connection! :oops:

The wiring diagrams show the earth going to a common earthing point, so I doubt that is the cause. All the wiring looks to be in good condition actually.

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm sure these CL units are the same type (i.e. the pinning & connector is the same) throughout the Cit & Peug range on the same model year range.
I found out by coincedence that mkII BX'es have the same units as MkII CX'es and MkI xantia & ZX.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Well, I've got a 2nd hand control unit on the way, so fingers crossed! :?

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Update

Post by Sl4yer »

'New' control unit arrived today. Central locking is now returned to it's previous state (i.e. works with the key only), which is good enough for me to be honest. When using the plip, the driver's door doesn't lock or unlock. Must get around to changing the motor for the one I bought from Stewart (oily) quite some time ago... :oops:

James
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto