Pot hole damage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Pot hole damage

Post by mcgregor »

Yesterday morning I hit a large pothole (in the dark) with my nearside front wheel. It was so bad that it just about shook my fillings out. Anyway since then there has been a wheel wobble at low speeds which I reckon on checking is simply the wheel being now bent. Much more worrying is that there is a funny noise almost like two parts vibrating together on the overrun. I had a look last night and could not find anything other than the wheel being slightly out of true. Has anyone any ideas what the cause of the noise might be? I wonder if the jarring has broken an engine mount or the like but I really just don't know and am looking for any ideas.
Cheers
Dave
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Forgot to mention that it is a 2001 Xantia HDi.
Cheers
Dave
slim123

Post by slim123 »

First choice would be to pop the spare on and test drive, if the noise stops, then its new wheel and tyre.

I would suggest the if it has done enough damage to buckle the wheel, then the tyre casing will be damaged, even if it looks ok.

Whilst the wheel is off, check the lower arm for signs of clean bits! this would suggest a bend.

A simple but not 100% acurate would be to measure from the center of the hub to a fixed point on the car, do this on the good side, them compare with the "bad " side, see if there is any difference.

Regards
Slim.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

You'll want to contact your insurers also with a view to getting compensation from your council highways dept, and get some photos of the hole you hit.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I second that, you need to contact the council and make a claim for malfeasance, pop your spare on and see how it drives, with a Xantia the lower wishbone or its mounting bolts might be bent as could the track rod/end.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Go take a picture and measure how deep it is,I hit a bad pothole a few weeks ago and was gonna complain but when i went back it had been repaired.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Same thing happened to me - vehicle in front swerved violently at the
last moment and whilst I was trying to work out what he was up to I hit
what was practically a missing manhole cover area about 3-4" deep.
When I went back to measure and photograph the crater later it was
fixed too!

Damn it, if it's that easy to fix, why leave it there to ambush people
- there must be a criticality index that see's which one get's fixed first
- this one nearly casued the Xantia to crash off the road when the steering
got yanked out of my grip - ruined the wheel and tyre - I'm not 100%
sure if the arm bushes or track rod have had it as the steering doesn't
feel "right" though I may be being neurotic...

I believe the main culprit for this additional blight on the roads ON TOP
of all the other crap, is the Laissez Faire attitude of the cowboy navvies
operating under Utility Company colours... :evil: :evil: :x :x

Biggest measured pothole in the UK was not far from me here in South
Wales - it was so bad the local 'free-range' sheep were sheltering IN it
to get out of the bad weather... :shock:

No wonder there's more and more of those damned 4x4's with their
stupid knobbly wheels...

Andrew
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

andmcit wrote:No wonder there's more and more of those damned 4x4's with their stupid knobbly wheels...

Andrew
The knobbly tyres are for climbing out of the pot holes :P
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

As an update, last night I noticed that the tyre on this side was looking a bit soft and when I checked it it was down to 16lbs. I pumped it up to the 35 requied and heard a hissing noise. When I removed the wheel and inspected it properly there is a huge dent on the inside (how did I miss that you ask) which was allowing air to escape. Fitted the spare and lo an behold everything is now fine. I guess now its have a go at the council time, but the real mystery to me is why the noise problem only happened on the overrun. Ah well, thanks to all who replied.
Chees
Dave
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

Lucky it was the wheel - in a sense - a pothole finished off a driveshaft on my ZX a few years back. I got the grand sum of £50 from the council. Mind you the car had done 140k miles.

Simon