multimeter setting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

multimeter setting

Post by tanto »

hi guys
how do you use a multimeter to check the abs sensors i need to know what to set the meter to and where do i check it from for the car in sig

thanks
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
shaker

Post by shaker »

Tanto,

see http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=20837

posted by alan s in the common problems & fixes section.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The object is to pass a small current through it - so you are checking its resistance. Use the lowest scale then go up. The correct reading should be about 900 ohms. Don't use the very high scales - you could end up measuring the resistance of your hand - which is a completely harmless but entirely useless experience which may confuse you.

Connect the 2 leads together - gives no resistance - so you should get a reading on 0 or more likely 1 unless you get a really good connection.

I'm not sure where you are measuring - but if you have the sensor connector in your hand you measure between the 2 plug pins - if its like the BX its a co-ax plug rather like a TV aerial - in which case the terminals are the centre pin and the outer screen.

Often its the lead which fails either through flexing or corrosion of the screen due to the outer insulation becoming porous. If this has happened you may be able to repair it if you are handy with a soldering iron and use a co-ax cable with a flexible centre core. (TV aerial cable with a single centre core will NOT do.) To find the problem - cut the wire at a likely spot and measure again - and keep going towards the sensor.

I found 3 failed ones on my BX when I got it!
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

0 = full scale deflection on an analogue meter. 50 ohm amateur radio cable with a stranded centre conductor is fairly durable.