Clutch Clip Broke - HELP!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

320i coupe

Clutch Clip Broke - HELP!!!

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

Just fallen foul to the dreaded clutch cable, got the clip now, and the AA have receovered me to the garage, but they cant do the job for 2 weeks, so have said I will have to do it my self in the compound where the car currently is!

I am pretty screwed without it, so need it to get it sorted ASAP!

The car is a '97 R 1.9Td estate.

Can anyone who has done this job before provide me with a DUMMIES guide how to do this???

Thanks again greatly!

Steve
'97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

I probably meant to say it is the clip that the clutch cable goes in to....

Sorry
'97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just do a search on here there is loads about this already,by me and various others,but try not to chop butcher or bend things like some on here sudgest,it is very tricky but posible all you need is lots of percywhatsit
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Here's a description I put on a post just before Christmas:

Clutch clip change

Malcom reckons on getting the bolt out by twisting the pedal a bit. Slim reckons on getting them out by lifting the brake pedal. I've only done it once and sawed the bolt off. Make sure yuo fit the clip the right way round - do it wrong and the metal part bears on the pedal and it snaps again. Whereabouts are you - someone might offer to help / do it for the price of a few crates of beer :wink:

In fact I'm going to put that on a post in the tips section so I don't have to search for it every time.

Edit: Now in Hints and tips: Clutch clip change
Richard W
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

The car is marooned in my mates compound in Eccles, near Manchester, so if anyone wants to do the job for a dropsie, then please feel free to come forward and make yourself known!

Thanks
'97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

I did it a week ago & posted what I did!
Clip + new bolt (couldn't get the existing bolt out); £8.50 inc VAT from local Citroen Stealer.
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

a company in gloucester makes machined aluminium clips which look really toogh i fitted one. they are so strong looking i bet you could lift the car up with it!! it certaily wont break again.

i think it mite have been ctg autosystems or somthing similar...
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

8304 wrote:a company in gloucester makes machined aluminium clips which look really toogh i fitted one. they are so strong looking i bet you could lift the car up with it!! it certaily wont break again.

Google says "CGS Autosystems" and there is a phone number "01452-311110" :)
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The machined clip replacement from CGS Autosystems is the bee's knees or the dog's boll... (you know). Given the market I expect they are still having them made; and at one time they would post them out.

It's expensive until you realise you'll never have to worry again. The car could fall to bits and this clip will look as good as new! I did mine at 105k and 68k miles later it's still there. The clutch is really heavy at times but at least the clip won't break.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

thats the 1!!

yes i can also confirm they are the danglies
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the problem you might find when useing these bullet proof clip assembelys is other things are going to brake before the clip
regards malcolm
320i coupe

Post by 320i coupe »

Hi all,

Just to give you an update, called CGS and they don’t do the machined clip anymore as they found that the metal clip ended up breaking the clutch pedal, so kinda defeats the object!!!

Got the AA to receover the car back to wigan, found out nobody wants to take on the job, but with much struggling, have managed to get the pedal out, also managed to get the bolt out by pushing the brake pedal at the same time, so it can be done without taking the canister from the brake pedal!

So have fitted the new clip to the pedal, just have the task of getting the clip on to the cable, then re fit the pedal.

The car has beaten me 3 times now, but by just going back and looking at things again with fresh eyes it would appear that I am making progress now that no one (cant be assed) is prepared to do the job!

Steve
'97 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

8304 wrote:a company in gloucester makes machined aluminium clips which look really toogh i fitted one. they are so strong looking i bet you could lift the car up with it!! it certaily wont break again.

do they do online sales. very intersted as we don't have it way over here

thanks
xantiaBFY
slim123

Post by slim123 »

You have now done the akward bit, all you need to do now is.

Get in by the pedals with a mag light and a pair of long nosed pliers.

Get someone else in at the front of the car to grab the inner and outer cable.

As they push the inner cable in, guide it (with the pliers) into the begining of the clip.

Hold the pedal UP as far as it will go.

Whilst the cable is in at the entrance, tell them to shove the inner fast and hard.

The arrow head at the end of the cable will open the metal part of the clip and this will snap shut behind it.

It may take one ot two goes, but when it is in you will hear a click, get the assistant to hold the outer cable and tug on the inner, to check that it is all in, the pedal should go up and down if you pull the inner in and out.

Now simply re-connect at the gearbox end, make your mate a cup of tea and all finished.

This method may differ with others, but it has allways worked for me!!

Regards
Slim.
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

For me, doing it by myself.

I slackened the cable at the clutch end, pulled as much cable as I could into the footwell, then fitted the cable bullet end into the clip & then re-fitted the pedal & re-connected at the clutch end.

Not sure what's the best way, but taking the seat out was a must for me & using a 12v fluorescent light meant I could lie on my back & have the light on my chest & use two hands.