Engine Transplant

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Engine Transplant

Post by mbunting »

Dear all,

Any ideas about the practicality of swapping a 2L Hdi engine into the bay of a 406 2.1TD ?

Physically it obviously "has form", but what about electrically / electronically ?

Presumably we're talking wiring looms, immobilisers etc... ie. not worth it.

Any ideas ?
Mat.
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
Bananaman
My Cars:

Post by Bananaman »

This was discussed in depth once over on BXC as our resident Scouse Nutter wanted to drop one into a BX, mainly the amount of electronics that need transfering is phenominal and the biggest off putter. You need anti poloution gubbins, a new exhaust system with particulate filter / cat & sensors, EGR, Eolys tank, at one count it was about 11 different ECU's (though that may be wrong) and of course the loom splicing into your old loom so things like the gauges on the dash work, oh yes you need the tank with lift pump fitting too.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

If its anything like mine,the 2.0 110 does not have a particulate filter & Eolys.I think it was only the 2.2 Hdis that had that.
I know from looking on Ebay you can pick up a 2nd hand 2.0 hdi 90 or 110 fairly cheaply.I have seen some for as little as £250 compleat with over 100k,or £400-£750 for good low milage engines still in the car with FSH.
Anything is possible,but as said about the electrics,it may be more time & cost than its worth.It may be cheaper to buy a HDI 406.You can get some early cars quite cheap now.
Cheers :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I may be wrong about some 110 Hdis having a filter & Eolys,as this topic is for a 2002 Pug 307
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21189
I know that my car doesnt have it though. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I know of somebody who put an HDi in a 305 van so anything is possible. He posted this TD 305 van on a website and his email address is below the picture. There's no mention of HDi engines there but I'm sure he said he'd done it.

http://www.peugeot305.co.uk/images.asp? ... ispImage=1
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.

Post by 504 »

That 305 van has the XUD9 turbo engine, not HDI.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I know, but he also claimed he had put an HDi in another one.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I would have thought that all the wiring required would be fairly self-contained within the engine bay, except for the obviousl such as the accelerator electronics, the brake and clutch switches.

Presumably the pump in the tank is just a live feed from the loom - without direct engine control ?

It would be an interesting project - not saying I've got space and time ( only in my empty head ! ) but the practicalities interest me :wink:
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Martys covered most of the problesm i've encountered with the idea (though i was thinking along the lines of a 2.8hdi from a realy van :D) the smaller HDi's hae a very similar bottom end and will physically fit into most of the PSA engine bays (alledgedly you can get a 2.1td into a 106!!). Wiring however is a bit of a big!
Theres nothing simple about them and there are HUGE sections of loom that are totally encased in glue/resin making splitting the bits you need from those you dont rather difficult! Easiest way to do it is to use purely the HDi loom and change connectors/extend wires to fit the rest of the connectors on a car!

That said if you can fit a HDI 406 thats been written off and get the loom from that and some of the mounts it could very well be easy days!

Also when looking to doing the conversion to the BX, you can ditch a lot of the emmissions reduction stuff as it doesn't affect the main ECU and isn't required making getting all the magical parts under the car a non issue! Still want a HDi BX (maybe 4x4 if i can sweet talk Dangel)!