XU 1.6 engine - oil filler cap

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pazz
My Cars:

XU 1.6 engine - oil filler cap

Post by pazz »

Just bought a new oil filler cap for my 309, and I'm wondering whether to leave the wire mesh in or not. The Haynes manual (supplement) states "Due to the likelihood of corrosion occuring in the steel mesh within the engine oil filler cap, it is recommended that the mesh is removed and discarded." I also found a post on vectorbd.com which said there was a recall on some 405's to remove the mesh because condensation in it could freeze in cold weather, blocking it completely. On the other hand, it must be there for a reason, presumably as a flame trap?
Also there is another piece of mesh in the canister where the oil is poured in (hidden below the conical funnel part). What is this for? It is blocked solid. Is it OK to discard it? Any suggestions?
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. I've run with one in and out on the GTi but for the sake of completeness I like it to be there because, as you say, it's a flame trap. I've a stainless steel mesh in mine and this is of course corrosion proof. I did have a normal steel mesh in for a while but this rusted so quickly it was remarkable. As you'll know, these engines make more mayonnaise than Hellmanns :lol: I recommend you try to source a stainless steel mesh and use that. Quite from where I don't know as mine was on the car when I got it.

There is a mesh in the oil pot proper. This is not removable as far as I can tell.

One thing to be sure of is to ensure the breather pipe that goes from the oil cap to the throttle body is clear and that the tiny hole in the throttle body itself is clear. It is very tiny and is prone to blocking. This hole is very important as it applies full manifold vacuum to the breather system and is responsible for a lot of mayonnaise control. It sucks it into the inlet tract and burns it.

Especially in the winter months I regularly have the breather pipes and oil pot off and clean them by giving them a good blow-out with compressed air. It is a nasty, mucky job but very effective. The results look like something the dog has thrown up :wink:

Also, try not to do too many short trips. Take the car out for a good run to get the oil well warmed up. If I do a short run in the GTi I deliberately take the (very) long way home!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
pazz
My Cars:

Post by pazz »

Thanks for the info. I bought the filler cap from a Peugeot dealer - not sure if the mesh is stainless or not. I think I'll leave it in for now and check regulary to see if it's rusting.
1993 309GLi Auto 145K
1993 405GLi Auto Estate 218K