Who to buy part from? GSF or EuroCarParts?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

AX_Man

Who to buy part from? GSF or EuroCarParts?

Post by AX_Man »

My AX's headlamp has become a victim of the weather. So I need to get a new one.

GSF have one for £25 inc VAT (They have a branch near where I live)
Euro Car Parts have a FIFFT one for £15.30, which adding delivery comes to £24. Or a Valeo for which comes to £67 but out of stock.

Anyone know what make the GSF one is? And which is better?
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

where abouts do you live as i have a selection of good second hand head lamps for AXs/BXs nd XANTIAS,im in st leonards on sea east sussex
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

AX Man i bought a brand new one from GSF and fitted it straight onto our AX with no issues and its a genuine Valeo item so worth the few quid over Eurocarparts cheaper version :)

Dab of grease on each lug hole and slid on a treat. Also clean up the adjusters threads as well when its off to make realignment easier :)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Neither GSF or EuroCarParts sells rubbish - and if you look at the on-line shop they explain their numbering systems which explain if the part is original or made by an original equipment manufacturer or someone else.

Many original equipment parts aren't that good and its perfectly possible that another manufacturer who you have never heard of makes a better copy.

How long are you likely to keep the AX. If the difference is longevity - you're likely to have disposed of it long before its long life becomes an issue.
jeremy
AX_Man

Post by AX_Man »

Thanks all of you.

The new GSF store in Slough near Cit HQ is getting 1 in for me to pick up in the morning. For a Valeo its amazing how much cheaper that is than Euro Car Parts, and I shudder to think how much a Cit dealer would charge!

The reason I was asking is there is an issue with the FIFFT ones on VW Golfs as they leak apparantly! I've got Valeo on both sides at the moment, the passenger side being 5 years, and have found them to be good and problem free.

I must admit I hadn't thought of 2nd hand ones - thanks for the offer anyway Malcolm but can't get to East Sussex this weekend.
1996 Citroen AX Debut and 2001 Citroen Saxo.

I love Citroens!
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Re: Who to buy part from? GSF or EuroCarParts?

Post by Homer »

AX_Man wrote: GSF have one for £25 inc VAT (They have a branch near where I live)
That would be the clincher for me.

Being local and being able to take it back in person if there is a problem is worth the extra quid (and more).