2.1 TD Timing Belts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sdabel
My Cars:

2.1 TD Timing Belts

Post by sdabel »

I have obtained a set of hydraulic lifters for my XM 2.1 TD. I figure I may as well get the timing belt changed at the same time. Is there anything else worth doing at the same time? Note that the belt, water pump, tensioner and pulley crank were all changed less than 3 years ago.

Any thoughts on brands for timing belts? Are GSF ok, or the ones you see on eBay?

regards
sean (from hot and sticky Adelaide)
1996 XM 2.1 TD exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I always use GSF belts and have had no problem. Just one tip if you havn't taken the camshaft carrier off before, there is no gasket on the underside so you have to put a bead of silicon sealant around the edge. As the clearance between the inlet manifofd and head is almost non existant, it tends to scrape the sealant off. What I did with mine was to apply the sealant the night before I refitted the carrier, so it was set. Its still soft enough to be squeezed out when you tighten it down.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

May as well flush the cooling system while you are at it all.

The GSF belts i got for our 2.1td were exactly what cit/pug sell and fit so all was good. its not an easy DIY job and its a good idea to have a helping hand on top as the lining up of the belt and getting it just tight on the untensioned side isnt easy :(
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Depends on how far you have driven in those three years. As a general rule, the tensioners are reliable for two belt changes and the water pump three. If its the dual-mass crank pulley you should inspect it very carefully (mark a line across the joint and check it after a week for movement). Change the leak-off hoses if they've not been done before or are sweating. The rubber hoses to the cold start device have a nasty habit of exploding after a number of years and you then loose ALL your coolant in about 30 secs. (pre-EPIC). Thermostat?

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Thanks all, the car has been driven less than 5,000km since the tensioner and water pump were changed. The crank failed within a month so that has also been changed recently :evil: .

I had been looking at a timing belt from eBay but when I asked how old it was he got all funny and wouldn't say so will go the GSF route.

Defiantly beyond my skills (and facilities) to do this so will get it done by my regular guy. Will give him the advise about breaking the seal. I have some leak of hose (also from GSF) so will get him to do that while he is there.

regards
sean
1996 XM 2.1 TD exclusive