Xantia Brakes - Problem occured once!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04HELP

Xantia Brakes - Problem occured once!

Post by mezuk04HELP »

Brother in Law just called to say that on his way home last night from work was apparently slowing down to some traffic lights and please take into consideration that he is a fairly gentle driver.

He said he started to press on the brakes but felt the car wasnt stopping quite as normal as it usually does, he pressed harder on the brakes to which the car responded. It must have been a little different for him to bother ringing me.

I've told him to pop to my house after work (8:45 ish) and I will try the pedal for myself in the cul-de-sac.

The pads were replaced a little later than mid last year.

He has told me the ABS light has started flicking a little more than usual (it disappeared just for the MOT last year) but the warning light was NOT on at the time of braking.

I will give you an update after 9pm with hopefully a little more detail.
deian

Post by deian »

hi

sounds like air in the brakes, i would suggest some citrobeotics,

if that doesn't fix it, to the then bleed the brakes, the brakes are a dead end in the hydraulic circuit, so citrobeaotics won't fix that, bleed them in the usual manner, rather than pumping it like a conventional car butkeeping the foot down gently on the brakes until the fluid comes out without air, one wheel at the time, starting with the front then the back,

i don't think the abs is something to do with it, for abs to work the brakes have to grab,

i'm sure others will suggest the same, let us know how it goes, good luck
mezuk04HELP

Post by mezuk04HELP »

The brakes havent been bled yet since I took ownership of the car, what, a couple of years ago now!

I was aware to do them, but the horror stories of the little caps shearing off concerned me a little so I left it as that, the LHM was changed when I bought the car.

Now you have said that, I would also put it down to air in the brakes but to be fair Im not overly confident with things like that so it might be best to have it sent to the Indie.
deian

Post by deian »

i'd try some citrobeotics first, it's free and it's soo easy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Defo air in the brake lines.
The hydraulic pressure needs time to compress the air - which is clearly felt as a delayed action on the pedal. Very scaring and dangerous.

Its brake caliper bleed time - ASAP.
Easy task - one wheel at a time - engine idle and brake pedal depressed to have constant bleed pressure. Keep topping up reservoir not to get a low level in the middle of the process.
When doing rears - set to max height to get adequate pressure on rear brakes.

Should always be done after servicing the brakes.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The likely source of the gas is leakage from the spheres - so its worth checking the accumulator - try the boot test - get the car to normal height - let the engine idle for a couple of minutes then turn it off and sit in the boot. The back of the car should sink a long way and after 30 seconds or so rise again powered by the accumulator.
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

if you are worried about the bleed nipples snapping, at least give it a try...

but give the nipples some releasing lubricant (like plus gas) to soak for 10 mins or so, i would then GENTLY tap the top of the nipple with a small hammer, and gently on the sides just to release it, and take it from there, they shouldn't break, mine were fine after 200k miles!
mezuk04HELP

Post by mezuk04HELP »

Thanks for the replies people.

Just had a quick drive and to be honest the brakes feel fine and just like when I use to drive the car.

This year its new LHM time so this time the bleeding will of course be done (I said this when the LHM went in the first time).

At least I got to drive the car again.

I canny believe how floaty it is. :D

In relation to the Accumulator sphere, it was new in about March 06 just before I sold it to him, takes ages to click and the boot test worked the last service, but it doesnt do much with me as im only 9stone
deian

Post by deian »

and there was me thinking i was small at 9 stone 7! cars go faster for us guys!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

9st should be adequate for the boot test. My BX Estate used to rise when I filled it with fuel!
jeremy
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Perhaps its the spring loaded brake pedal, I dont always feel mine but sometimes its really noticeable.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

jeremy wrote:The likely source of the gas is leakage from the spheres - so its worth checking the accumulator - try the boot test - get the car to normal height - let the engine idle for a couple of minutes then turn it off and sit in the boot. The back of the car should sink a long way and after 30 seconds or so rise again powered by the accumulator.
I've tried this boot test on both our ph1 & mothers ph2 estate neither raise up again - only with the engine running.

I get very similar problems in our Xant, it doesn't do it all the time, but can make you think for the split second. Usually occures if you ride the brakes down to a stop.
I've blead the brakes & although this helps its not cured, I think a change of LHM might do it.
The nipples should come undone quite easy as the LHM is oil based & (we've found) keeps everything nice & easy to undo.