C5 Headlamp adjustment

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5IAM
My Cars:

C5 Headlamp adjustment

Post by C5IAM »

Are the dipped beams able to be adjusted independantly of the main beam. The reason that I ask is because if I adjust the beam heights so that the lights on 'dipped' give me reasonable visibility without dazzling oncoming cars, the 'main beam' is too high, not by much, but too high for piercing visibility. On the other hand if the lights are set up so that 'main beam' is spot on, when on 'dipped' the safe driving speed is down to about 35/40mph because the 'cut off' is so close to the car. Does the aot levelling motor for the headlamp units affect the? :cry:
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

My bet is that your problem is a wrongly fitted bulb. (probably on the headlamp on the battery side). Had this problem myself, a few weeks ago and did a bit of adjusting. Only realized the problem when I reflected on a conversation with a friend of mine, another C5 owner, whose problem occured after having a bulb replaced by a Main Dealer. Remove the bulb and replace it properly. If it is on the battery side-you may have to remove the Battery, as space is a problem in this area
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I get the same with my C5. I have Xenon headlamps and I've recently changed both bulbs. The bulbs are keyed and can only fit one way.

I'd considered trying to adjust the dip beam height but hadn't considered the effect on the main beam.

My lamps are electrically adjusted for level and you can see them flicker or move as you go up a hill etc.

The bulbs I fitted are very blue and I think that is my problem. The higher the bulb temp, the bluer the bulb and, what I didn't realise, the darker the bulb. My bulbs are 9000K temp. Apparently 10000K and above are illegal in the uk because they're too dark. A 6000K bulb would give the best white light for visibility.

I think I'm stuck with what I've got unless I change the bulbs again. But they're very expensive.

By the way I changed the bulbs because one failed. I needed a matching pair.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
C5IAM
My Cars:

C5 Headlamp Adjustment

Post by C5IAM »

Thanks for the info JMD and Kev, will first have a look at the fitting of the bulbs. Maurice
C5 2.2 HDI Exclusive
C6 2.7 Twin turbo HDI Lignage