XUD TD Injector leak off pipes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

XUD TD Injector leak off pipes

Post by sooty »

My Son who has a 306 TD with the Bosch system and as many, had problems with starting.

He has renewed the leak off pipes several times over the last few years, where they seem only to last a few months before cracking and then the starting problems start.

He has purchased the replacement lengths of pipe from two sources which are Motor Factors, with the same problems where the rubber hardens then splits.

The 'Offical' dealer do not list the pipes or kit for replacing, one did but at a very high cost and then its to order (2/3 wks).

My ZX having a Lucas system (Touch wood) has never had any problems in its 10yrs and 177k.

Any suggestions of bye-passing the crap that is sold in these Motor factors. Would Polyuethane piping be any better as used in pneumatics or silicon type tubing. I know such as normal plastic tubing would harden with the same cracking problem when used with diesel.

Any tips ????????? apart from changing the system to Lucas.
Ex 307 2.0Hdi 90 bhp 2003
Ex Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 2008
Ex Vauxhall Insignia SRI 2.0 CDTi 2010
C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi VTR+ 2014
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Your leak off pipes on your lucas pumped ZX could be cracked as badly as the ones on on your sons 306 bosch but due to the way they work you wont notice it as much if at all as on the 306 bosch.

Leak of pipes general doesnt last that long but some types go very quickly. I had one a while ago that had the blanking caps made out of something resemebling marshmellows in texture. It lasted less then a week where as ive had others that last 3 yrs.

They are a consumable in my opinion. Just keep trying till you get a decent batch.
406 lx 1.9td estate
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi,

I have used silicon tube for leak off and also for LHM leak back.

In my experience, they last longer than the originals, and are considerable cheaper, but there are variations in the types of silicon available.

Best to test a sample by submerging in a jar of diesel for at least a month, then observe for any swelling, hardening etc.

I have obtained these tubes in the past from model and aquarium shops.

Good luck
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Caveman,

If there was any kind of cracks in the pipes, knowing diesel will find it and seep through it. The injectors and the surrounding area on my engine is dry, also it would smell especially when hot.

As for my sons problem, the pipe is purchased as shown on the packaging for the purpose of 'Injector leak off pipe' that you cut to length as required.

So how many times do you have to buy a piece of pipe to find the right supplier.?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My accessor shop sells me small bore fuel tube for this purpose - which seems OK on the ZX - and has been on there for a couple of years. Just wish their end caps were as good, and will have to try and get some better ones one day.
jeremy
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Just use a short length of leak back tube of you choice, and plug the end...
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I use a carded black rubber kit sold by my motorfactors, the pipe has a braided fabric outer and last a long time, the yellow plastic end caps supplied are not so good, I tend to use a short length of the pipe with an appropriate sized self tapper screwed into one end.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

When the long one back to the pump on mine went the only thing I had available to keep me going was some screen washer tubing, and 2 years later it's still there, and the 'real' leak off piping I bought later is still sitting in the boot....................strange!!

BX buying guides in magazines of years ago used to recommend you carry a spare length of the stuff in the boot, so apparently it's always been prone to failing.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

lucas(LSUK)
sell a kit in a blister pak which contains a length of the cloth bound tube and two blancking caps,i find these to last and they not very expensive
regards malcolm
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I bought the genuine leak off part for my Citroen Xantia from the Peugeot dealer. The parts are listed by both Citroen and Peugeot. I suspect your dealer could not be bothered finding them. The parts look like they come as several short bits but i does come as one length that you cut yourself
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

Thanks all for your replies,

The sets of piping and blanks were in one long length of hose and assorted blanks, both piping had the cotton covering and from different manufacturers/suppliers.

We've found some plastic type piping and doing a what you might call a field test, standing a piece of pipe alongside a piece of the rubber pipe in a container of diesel and see what the results are over a month or two.

We shall wait and see what happens??? 8)

Thanks again