Morrisons BioDiesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukmobileman
My Cars:

Morrisons BioDiesel

Post by ukmobileman »

Simple question can my 1997 xantia 1.9 td with bosch pump run on morrisons supermarket(uk) Biodiesel?
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

simple answer yes

When you buy the fuel from morrisons you need to find out what percentage blend it is. Is easy should be a sticker or ask the attendent. It will probably say b5 or b50 or b100 etc B100 = 100% bio B5 = a 5% blend.
B5 will work in any car and is the standard of fuel sold in most of france germany etc. with no side effects accept being greener and better for the car.
If the biodiesel is b100 ie 100% biodiesel then what will happen is it will clean your tank and fuel lines of the varnish thats in them from using regular fossil diesel and block you fuel filter. Dont worry this is normal and all you have to do is change the fuel filter. WIth some cars this can happen in as little as the first 100 miles of changing to biodiesel. IN others you can go as much as 2-3 tanks of biodiesel before the filter blocks.
So make sure you have a filter and allen key handy and its all good. Once you have changed the filter once or twice after changing to bidiesel the tank and lines are clean and it stops being an issue.!!!

happy biodiesel motoring.

for more biodiesel advice, questions, etc visit http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php good bunch of guys very helpful
406 lx 1.9td estate
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yip very nice lot indeed im even on there from time to time but not as much a i used to and i was running SVO thru my 1.9td and it was still going strong on both of them.

The second developed an erratic idle and was oviously pulling air in from somewhere so i put a recon pump on and changed all the pipes i could but i think in the end it was coming from the filter housing or such like.

In the end i sold it on to a fella from fccuk lot for a very cheap price with all the work done on it that i could. got a bargain the lucky sod!

It also gives it a bit more up and go as well i found :)
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

tracking little air leaks can be a pain, i had one in my last motor only got rid of the leak when i changed brands of filters as one type didnt quite seal.

If you have changed all the pipes and jubilee clipped then all or put a dob of grease on them all to ensure no leaks then yup probabaly the filter houseing.

Either the Oring underneath or the Oring round the filter itself or the drain plug. BUt it is also possible to have the 1-2connectors at the back leaking as well. A pain to do more because of fuel and coolant every where then a it being hard job.
406 lx 1.9td estate
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I think I've asked this before but will my little 1.5D 106 run on bio?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not without changing the the Injection Pump out or rebuilding it into one that can take the thicker Veg.

If its B5-B50 i would say it would be ok but anything more and its too thick for it and you can wave goodbye to the pump...
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Not without changing the the Injection Pump out or rebuilding it into one that can take the thicker Veg.

If its B5-B50 i would say it would be ok but anything more and its too thick for it and you can wave goodbye to the pump...
KP why do you say this???

Running the car on biodiesel should be fine (aside from the usually possible issues with seals and fuel line). Lucas pumps as fitted to the 1.5 run biodiesel fine. Its only running thicker straight vegetable oil that isnt possible.
The caveat to that is biodiesel genereally is not winterised and wax can form if it gets colder. IF it gets cold then it is adviseable to to run a blend b5-b50. As wax could cause issues for the pump.
406 lx 1.9td estate
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I say that as its hardly warm enough in this country for mroe than 3 months of the year for the higher % mix's and its just myself and i wouldnt want to risk it on my own current one but each onto their own ;)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Neil
Now Citrtoenless
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

My local Morrisons don't have it (yet) and if they do then I shall be using it.. I have been using 50% veg oil mix for months now and no problems even during the recent cold snap... but what a pain in the a**e to fill up!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

its dead easy foolzz :)

I ran our last 2 1.9tds on 100% and covered about 30k in total and no issues at all :) runs much better on it once warm but need to change the filter after the first couple of hundred miles and then check your plugs if its hard to start up but a bit of RUG will help, i put about 2litres in a full tank and it mixed ok but not to well :( 5 litres of ULSD would prob be a better mix now its the cold weather diesel in stations now :)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

f00lzz wrote:but what a pain in the a**e to fill up!
Why 3 litre bottles from Asda fit straight in the filler, just squeeze them and it glugs out. My 1.9TD used to love the stuff before I found a source of legal bio
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not used the KTC 20litre tubs then have you lol!

I came up with a nice system that would involve chopping and adapting one of the caps but as i dont use it anymore it fell to the wayside.

Basically had a leak off pipe that would be stuck to it at about 1/2" diameter adn then sit the thing on the car roof and poke a nice hole in it and a nice fill up occurs at pump speeds :D
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

KP wrote:Not used the KTC 20litre tubs then have you lol!
At the time Asda was the cheapest I could find, Macro was a lot more expensive. Tesco and Asda had a bit of a veg oil war going on. I often poured the oil into 25 litre tubs and added a little 15 year old leaded petrol I had in and old 10 litre can ( what else can you do with it :) ). I them used a £3 drill pump on a battery drill to pump it in the tank. Not spill and no mess. I cleaned enough veg oil off my trainers before I decided to pump it :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless