I programmed in a new fob in under a minute!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

I programmed in a new fob in under a minute!

Post by tonyb1 »

:D Bought a second hand IR fob off eBay for £15 quid and it took me 40 seconds to get it working. The last one I got took me 3 days. It must be a case of BAD fobs and GOOD fobs. On both occasions it was with new batteries. Can't figure out why some work and some dont want to! Just thought I'd share this in case anyone is about to give up on this age old topic. It's not in the programming the plip technique, it's the quality of the fob! Thought for the day ........ why do we call it a phob and not a fob :?:
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

We don't. It is called a "Plip" after the Renault engineer "Philippe" who mendaciously claims credit for its invention.

If you cannot get it to work, here are the tips: Check the output with an eye that can see into the IR spectrum. For you earthlings, that may mean using a cameraphone. If the battery is good and the output low, resolder the capacitor on the PCB that acts as an energy reservoir for the plip.
Be happy: it is a way of being wise. (Confucius.)
'92 TZD Estate(Grolliffe), Gone but never to be forgotten.
'95 405 GLX TD Estate. too new to name.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I thought the plip was the dome inside the car! Obviously not! I can program it anyway so I'm happy :D I was talking about the term 'fob' or 'phob'. A pause for thought!
rusty1

Key programming

Post by rusty1 »

Hi Guys,

Got a prob maybe you can help! Bought a used Xantia ignition switch, with remote key and roof sensor from ebay. I've tried them out yesterday but nothing happened!
Remote seems to work as Led Flashes but there's no sign of communication with sensor. Do you know how to reprogram the remote or where can I ask?

Please advise,
Thanks,

Stefan
rusty1

Key programming

Post by rusty1 »

Hello,

Got a prob maybe you can help! Bought a used Xantia ignition switch, with remote key and roof sensor from ebay. I've tried them out yesterday but nothing happened!
Remote seems to work as Led Flashes but there's no sign of communication with sensor. Do you know how to reprogram the remote or where can I ask?

Please advise, and sorry for any trouble!
Thanks,

Stefan
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi Stefan,

To program the sensor to work with your remote, you will need to have the remote and key separate. (This is because the key will need to be in the ignition and the remote will need to be one inch from the roof sensor).
If you have two keys then great!
Once you have done this, do the following:

1. Check that all of the doors are unlocked and closed.
2. Turn ignition key one click only, so that only the red light comes on the dash.
3. Within a couple of seconds of turning the key, hold the remote one inch from the sensor dome, pointing straight at it, and repeatedly press the big button (front Button) for about 30 seconds (assuming it is a two button remote). Try to push the button on the remote every time the LED on the remote turns off.
4. After 30 seconds of pushing the button, switch the ignition off and try your remote. Both buttons should now work.

If it doesn’t work, try it again until it does! Make sure you have good batteries in the remote.

If it won’t work at all, then you probably have a dodgy remote or sensor.

Good Luck!!