Starting Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveG

Starting Problem

Post by SteveG »

Howdy folks and Happy New Year to one and all.

I'm experiencing an annoying problem with the Xantia. Normally it starts very easily, hot or cold, especially with the new battery fitted. If, however, I sit with the engine off but the ignition on - say listening to the radio - for a while then it won't start again. The engine turns over but it doesn't fire up :-(

I'm not talking about being stationary for long periods; anything more than even two or three minutes is enough. To get Vera to start I have to switch off the ignition completely for about 30 to 45 seconds after which she starts normally again.

Does anyone have any idea on this?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The first thing that comes to mind is a sticky stop solonoid in the pump, if that is, its a mechanical pump. Does it have an ECU or a key pad? Otherwise it could be air getting into the fuel system somewhere, although that only usually causes problems after stopping for sometime, unless you are parked facing uphill. Or it could possibly a faulty contact on the ignition switch, does the ignition light come on when it wont start? if it has a key pad, does that behave normally?
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

My 405TD did the same thing, I put it down to the time out on the glowplugs. I found that unless the engine had just been stopped and was up to temperature it needed the plugs. HDi's don't.

Steve.
not applicable
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Hi Steve.Sorry to here about your problems :( .I`m having problems already & mine is only 3 yrs old! :x .
Anyway,it could be as Peter says as when i had it the stop solonoid would sometimes play up,i.e not starting like it is now & sometimes not switching off when you turned the ing key off.I used to spray some wd40 on it which used to work.
Cheers,Neil.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

By the way,mech pump,no ecu. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Peter.N. wrote:The first thing that comes to mind is a sticky stop solonoid in the pump, if that is, its a mechanical pump. Does it have an ECU or a key pad? Otherwise it could be air getting into the fuel system somewhere, although that only usually causes problems after stopping for sometime, unless you are parked facing uphill. Or it could possibly a faulty contact on the ignition switch, does the ignition light come on when it wont start? if it has a key pad, does that behave normally?
Hi Peter. It has a mechanical pump but I'm not sure how a sticky solenoid would manifest itself in this way. I would expect starting problems all the time id that were faulty - this is only ever after being stationary with the ignition on for a few minutes. Also I discounted air in the fuel line as I would expect the same problem in the mornings when it's been parked overnight, wouldn't I?

The car has a keypad and this appears to be working normally, although how to test it I don't know. When it won't start everything else is exactly as I would expect it to be - all dash lights function correctly.

It's a bit of a brain teaser. Keep the ideas coming :-)
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

steelcityuk wrote:My 405TD did the same thing, I put it down to the time out on the glowplugs. I found that unless the engine had just been stopped and was up to temperature it needed the plugs. HDi's don't.

Steve.
HI Steve, this was my first thought too but surely these engines don't need the glow plugs to operate when they're fully at working temperature?
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

np wrote:Hi Steve.Sorry to here about your problems :( .I`m having problems already & mine is only 3 yrs old! :x .
Anyway,it could be as Peter says as when i had it the stop solonoid would sometimes play up,i.e not starting like it is now & sometimes not switching off when you turned the ing key off.I used to spray some wd40 on it which used to work.
Cheers,Neil.
Morning Neil, more trouble from this bag-of-nails you sold me - only kidding :D

I'd kinda discounted the solenoid as this is the only scenario where the car doesn't start and (from my experience of solenoid problems on an older Discovery) would have expected random non-starting problems if it were faulty. I'll give it a squirt of the magic stuff anyway and see if that helps :-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it has a key pad I dont think you can get to the solonoid as I believe its buried in the pump, which makes fault finding very difficult as you cant get to the solonoid connection, but it certainly sounds as though the solonoid valve is not opening. Have you tried turning the ignition on and off several times?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

All of the TD motors that I have owned seem to need glowplugs to start every time, even when well up to temp and only stopped for a minute, at first I thought it was a problem but now I think its a characteristic, in contrast non turbo ones will start straight away without waiting for the orange light even after standing for a few hours!, you are probably fooling the cold start relay, later Xants seem to have this controlled by the ECU as the timing of the glow plug light is far shorter with a warm engine, older ones seem to have the same timing regardless of temperature.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Just a thought, although you might have checked this already.

Are the battery terminals tight?

I had problems with starting a while back and I traced it back to a loose negative terminal on the battery. Once tightened there was no more problem.

Fingers crossed it is as simple as that.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Re: Starting Problem

Post by BonceChops »

SteveG wrote:The engine turns over but it doesn't fire up
Have you tried turning key off then trying to start it again?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I know that a TD has a lower compression ratio than a normally aspirated diesel so that could be why they need plugs to start even when hot. Also age and mileage seem to effect them slightly in so much as even with new plugs a couple of extra seconds on a cold morning makes the startup much cleaner. Still a great engine for it's time. My old 405GTX TD (now the wifes) is still lovely to drive and the engine is still as sweet as ever, still it's only got 92K on the clock.

Steve.
not applicable
SteveG

Re: Starting Problem

Post by SteveG »

BonceChops wrote:Have you tried turning key off then trying to start it again?
Yes, but that doesn't work. I have to wait at least 30 seconds before turning the ignition on again to get her to start. Which got me to wondering if there was an electrical component/unit somewhere that maybe is overheating but the circuit diagram in the HBOL doesn't throw up any likely culprits.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

stevenlizuk wrote:Just a thought, although you might have checked this already.

Are the battery terminals tight?

Fingers crossed it is as simple as that.

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve, this problem pre-dates me fitting the new battery. In fact I thought it might have been a battery problem ~ generally down on AH, being drained by listening to the radio whilst not charging and, therefore, needing a few seconds to recover before starting. The terminals are good and tight and liberally coated in copper-slip to prevent corrosion.