Glow plug warning (pics added)....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Glow plug warning (pics added)....

Post by RichardW »

My Sister says "Will you change the glow plugs in my car over Christmas" (ZX 1.9D). I say "No, bother, should be piece of cake" (Have done the Xantia and ZX TDs recently). So off we go on Boxing Day - quick look under the bonnet reveals a Lucas pump and 3 easy plugs, with one a bit tricky behind the injector pipes. "Game on" I think, be back in the warm enjoying the beer in an hour. Get the wire off, and then a deep socket on no 3 plug. Hmm, she's a bit tight (all the other ones I have done, the plugs have been finger loose after breaking the initial seal). Then after about 1.5 turns CRACK - a big lump falls off the cylinder head :shock: I wasn't thinking game on any more - more like new head time :twisted: On the up side the plug then screwed out easily - but revealed the top 3 threads to be missing, presumably rusted into the head and stripped - I doubt we'd have got this out without busting the head any which way. Undeterred (well not much) we checked that the new plug would screw in and tighten up (about 40% of the thread remained). and then got the others out. We were a bit more careful, using easing spray and going in and out, but even so 2 of the 3 were tight and needed spannering all the way out (and the new ones in). Only No1 at the flywheel came out and went in as expected with fingers only. It looked like the plugs (Bosch) had not fitted in the threads very well, and the head was a bit mashed - no evidence really though that they had been changed before (it's a 94 car with 94k miles). No 3 was refitted with red loctitie and then a good mound of chemical metal around it. It has so far survived my Dad ragging it at the red line and then the 300 mile trip home with no apparent ills. Looks a woeful bodge though :oops:

So, moral of this story.... if the plug is at all tight go VERY steady. Unless you like changing heads for fun (I don't)!

Don't suppose my Sis will ask again..... :lol:

"It just came off in my hand guvnor..."

"Does it say 'Rebuilds cylinder heads' on the packet?"
Last edited by RichardW on 04 Jan 2007, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
Richard W
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I think that the problem here is for the want of a little grease when last fitted!!

Steel glow plug body + Ally cylinder head = electrolytic corrosion.

Every time steel and ally are screwed together, Grease the threads.

If only they had this policy when building the car eh.

Regards
Slim.
paulbx
My Cars:

quality bodge

Post by paulbx »

Full marks - man after my own heart

PaulB (Bodger Broome)
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had something similar on my BX when I first giot it. However the plug didn't look straight - or even fully in. Got it out and there was just enough thread at the bottom of the hole for the new one - carefully torqued as they aren't very tight.

My conclusion was that someone had put them it in by holding it in a box or deep socket spanner and not run it down the thread by hand before tightening.
jeremy
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I've heard that Ford KAs can be bad with their spark plugs but this is the first PSA engine I've heard this happening to.

Steve.
not applicable