Finally Cured 1 year since 1st post!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetd
My Cars:

Finally Cured 1 year since 1st post!!!!!

Post by davetd »

Afternoon

When I joined the forum last December I started a thread called Juddery Xantia because my car would lurch backward and forward as I pressed/released the accelerator at low speeds ie town driving/ stop start traffic.

I became resigned to the fact it was play in the diff/ driveshafts as I had changed the engine and gearbox mounts etc to no avail.

So imagine my glee this morning while treating her to a bit of spray grease under the bonnet (no smut) and lubricating the (Bosch) fuel pump's moving parts I found that the throttle damper was stuck in. By the time I had finished with it it had about another 12mm of movement. I also found the accelerator cable was a bit slack so adjusted that too.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It's like a new car. I managed to find some slow moving traffic and an old lady in a Micra (24mph in a 40 zone) and the car was perfect. You enjoy the floaty suspension a bit more when the throttle is floaty too.

So it's the old Citroen thing of thorough maintenance lots of lubricating and when I think of the experience I had changing the bottom mount :evil:

I think I'll just go for another drive.....
regards

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent Dave!

I know the feeling. last week I found a problem on my 205GTi that had been there for 18 months. A blocked vacuum hole on the Throttle Body that provides vacuum to the crankcase breather system.

Feels good when you finally nail these sort of problems. A great start to 2007 :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

I just love the feeling of solving something so simple but the impact is tremendous....aaaaahhhh :D
xantiaBFY
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

hehe, I know that feeling,

I was wondering my my turbo didn't seem to "kick" in when getting up to 2.5k revs,

I had already checked the pipes leading to the turbo for leaks, but completely missed a 2inch slash in a very small pipe leading to one of the over engine hard plastic pipes ( kinda hoping your following lol),

anyway, I only spotted it when looking for something completely different, once sorted, it was like a new engine had been placed in me motor.

shame its still not starting from cold yet :(
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
toldemoldham
My Cars:

Post by toldemoldham »

Dave had same prob with mine and lubricated it and was fine for a few weeks then it started sticking again so its now gone in the bin and works fine without it
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

toldemoldham wrote:Dave had same prob with mine and lubricated it and was fine for a few weeks then it started sticking again so its now gone in the bin and works fine without it
I agree completely.. ditch it, more trouble than they are worth (only for old lady drivers anyway)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

There are two dampers, there is the one that looks like a gas strut, thats the one most people seem to recommend putting in the bin.

The other is the one on the back of the pump, thats the one I think Dave was talking about... that one doesn't want putting in the bin.
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Yes the one I am talking about is the one at the back and it is still working fine. I am having the best drive quality since I bought the car now this is working. :)

I meant to ask you guys about the other one that looks like a gas strut it shows on a PR net diagram that I got from my Citroen garage.

Would this have been standard fitment on a '93 TurboD.

As for the old lady thing... I bought a hydropneumatic Citroen because I do 160 miles a day and I like my comfort. If the gas strut makes it even smoother then bring it on :D

regards

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink