The long goodbye

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

keefy21m

The long goodbye

Post by keefy21m »

Dear All, I have very much enjoyed reading this forum over the last couple of years and the helpful advice given.However now is the time to say goodbye, my Xantia despite all my attempts to keep it must now go, the last two years have been fraught with every emotion going.
The Xantia has cost me a lot of time and money over this time, never did find out where the water in the rear passenger footwell comes from, I find French engineering and workmanship very frustrating and apart from a Rover 200 I once had, the worst I have encountered.
Despite this I will be sorry not to be driving the Xantia anymore, it did have a certain.............something, but what it was I am not sure.
I shall return to a souless and super reliable Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, for my transport and will further attempt to rid my wife of her dreadful Peugeot 106 diesel, another story but same ending.
I shall dip into the forum from time to time and once again thanks for all the help given over the last two years.

Keith
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: The long goodbye

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry to see you go Keith, I can understand. Xantias are exactly how you describe really! Great cars but they do need a certain commitment. My family have suggested on many occasions that I get rid of all my French heaps and get a normal, relaible car that does not need at least part of every weekend to keep in good order. They forget it is a pleasurable pastime for me. I'd be bored rigid with something modern and reliable :)
keefy21m wrote:never did find out where the water in the rear passenger footwell comes from
Keith
Nor have I! I keep absorbent towels in the footwells and change them regularly although the problem has been less since I resealed the rearlights.

All the best Keith and do keep an eye on us here from time to time. May 2007 be good for you :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I feel the same about XMs, they can be a pain in the backside but where else can you find a car with as much room as an XM estate, such a superb ride and such good fuel consumption (manual diesel). I have covered about 42k in my present one, and fitted a new head gasket last year, a pig of a job, but I have been rewarded with about 20K miles almost trouble free motoring since then. I am going to have to replace it one day, but what with?
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

I thought I was the only one!

My old beast has just clocked 170k but still pulls like a train, goes round corners like it's on rails and returns 45mpg whilst being driven "enthusiastically".

On the other hand the electrics were wired by "Blind Pierre", there is alway something needing repaired, the temperature selector on the heater was plainly fitted because they had already ordered them and didn't want to throw them out, the central locking decides from one month to the next whether it will work or not, the wiring exposed to the elements outside the car appears to be insulated with cheese and it eats front tyres (I should take some responsibility for that).

But I wouldn't sell it, I've invested so much time and cash keeping the sod running I wouldn't want to give it up.

I'll run it 'til I scrap it, I just can't imagine that many other cars do this to their owners.

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

<I feel the same about XMs, they can be a pain in the backside but where else can you find a car with as much room as an XM estate, such a superb ride and such good fuel consumption (manual diesel). >

So true.

An XM is in a class of its own when it comes to belting around Europe - for me worth all the aggro and then some. I replaced mine after the Inj pump ran away at 300K miles, with a Xantia HDi estate. Another car very hard to not like. Mine is a good one with no apparent vices (yet) at 200K miles - they do exist.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj