Heating Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveG

Heating Oil

Post by SteveG »

It never rains but it pours! Our oil fired central heating boiler packed up today and is going to be replaced in the New Year by one run on LPG. Before the contractor will remove the old oil tank he wants it emptied - it's only recently been filled :x . So I'm wondering, can I run my 1.9TD on the stuff?

Of course, I'll tell Mr Brown what I'm doing and pay the duty :wink:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Isnt that stuff coloured - exactly to catch you on the act :lol:
It is over here our ways. Pay duty or not over here - its still illegal to use in the car, although technically it may come from the very same tank, just the colour stuff added at the pump.

Technically no problem. Legally I dont see how you'd overcome the colour problem.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I thought LPG was supposed to be significantly more expensive than diesel for heating etc.

Thought there was something floating around the net - like a heating oil users group etc - and I was surprised to see that LPG was much more expensive and I think that was after the tank had been removed from the calculation.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, LPG is very expensive, dont do it! As for your oil, if its 28 sec, (smells like parrafin) its a bit thin for a diesel engine anyway. I had my fuel tested by customs and excise at Exeter car auction about 25 years ago!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Heating Oil

Post by JohnD »

SteveG wrote: So I'm wondering, can I run my 1.9TD on the stuff?

Of course, I'll tell Mr Brown what I'm doing and pay the duty :wink:
If it's 35sec oil it will be fine. Maybe it will thicken too much if it's very cold. Back in the late 70's I used it in my Tranny minibus without trouble. (They can't prosecute now, can they?!!!!!)
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Your good old 1.9 TD will run fine on the heating oil, but personly I wouldnt risk it! as Anders stated, it certainly is dyed, this being the same dye used in red diesel and parrafin (yes they have started dying the parrafin) this will leave a trace in the tank for a while, so you could get caught even after you have used it all.

Cooking oil is a whole new game, no dye in this stuff, so in practice you could have a tank full of the stuff and as the dipping is only looking at the dye, not a problem!

Regards
Slim
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

slim123 wrote:Your good old 1.9 TD will run fine on the heating oil, but personly I wouldnt risk it! as Anders stated, it certainly is dyed, this being the same dye used in red diesel and parrafin (yes they have started dying the parrafin) this will leave a trace in the tank for a while, so you could get caught even after you have used it all.

Cooking oil is a whole new game, no dye in this stuff, so in practice you could have a tank full of the stuff and as the dipping is only looking at the dye, not a problem!

Regards
Slim
i woudn't even risk running my car on cooking oil, i've had my tank dipped before and paid the price.... :(

still it was good while it lasted :P
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

It's not worth the risk. If you run the tank of your car dry-the traces of the Dye can, and will remain in your tank for months. So six months down the road you could be exposing yourself to prosecution. Tank and system would need to be flushed to remove traces of the Dye, even after one tankful.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Odd, I have oil fired central heating and have, over the years, purchased it from a number of different suppliers and it has NEVER been dyed. I also know a number of people out here in the sticks who are reputed to run their cars on it.

Yes, it's a bit thin but 25% veggy oil will thicken it up nicely. Not recommended if you have a Lucas/CAV/Rotowotsit pump.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The answer is there are 2 types of oil used - one (clear) is (similar to?) kerosene as burnt in jet engines and considered unsuitable for engines. The other heavier one is the same as car/agricultural fuel - and so is charged with duty unless marked with dye (rebating)
jeremy
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

slim123 wrote:Cooking oil is a whole new game, no dye in this stuff, so in practice you could have a tank full of the stuff and as the dipping is only looking at the dye, not a problem!
They are looking for cooking oil as well. They don't need to look for a dye, they can tell its veg oil easily. If you are running on biodiesel you can smell it as soon as you open the fuel cap.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Two obvious questions:

SteveG, is your fuel oil dyed? If it is, do you know any farmers, JCB operators, boat owners etc. who can use dyed fuel legally?

Jeremy, you obviously know your stuff. Could you please explain why kerosene is not considered suitable for engines?

Compliments of the season to all.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Kerosene burns OK but is to thin to properly lubricate the pump and injectors, you could well get away with it, especially if mixed with diesel or some added lubricant, but it will likely increase pump wear.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you get stopped with cooking oil in the tank, just tell them it's RME - esterized rapeseed oil- purfectly legal, and then its up to them to prove otherwise.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

if you get stopped with cooking oil in the car you've still got to prove you are paying the tax :(