Should I buy a Citroen Xsara to replace failed ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mariner
My Cars:

Post by Mariner »

I have now confirmed my head gasket failed due to a water pump failure. My family has come up trumps and says they know someone selling a diesel xsara, I have yet to find out the age or model.

It's going for £800, is that a good price and if so what should I be looking at checking or getting done after I buy it.

What is the best Xsara model? Will I be able to fix anything on it?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Xsara is only a ZX under the skin - just a bi heavier. For £800 it will presumably be a Mk1 - and therefore no multiplex wiring - hence just about everything you can fix on the ZX you will be able to fix on the Xsara - it will slower though, as they tend to be heavier, and may well be saddled with electronic engine control, even on a 1.9D model.
Richard W
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

My advice would be to buy another ZX, preferably one made before the facelift grill was fitted (pre ecu!!) 1994 ish I think.

They are extremely reliable if maintained properly, and cheap as chips to buy.. In my opinion the ZX 1.9D was one of the most reliable, and ecomonical cars ever made. :D

Keep all the good bits from your old car for spares in case you ever need any. Starter motors in particular are expensive new! But if you have a spare then Murphy's law sez you wont ever need it.. lol.. :lol:
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

It was after 94 and the facelift that the ZX got the engine ECU - as ours hasn't got it. The one with the keypad has something but I think it may be removeable with difficulty. Is there a 3rd stage - with the sensor/injector and the Epic pump or its equivalent?
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AFAIK the ZX never got the ECU controlled diesel engine - that came in some time around 1997 - so probably with the Xsara. The keypad is just a small electronic box clagged on the side of the injection pump that controls only the stop solenoid.
Richard W
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Interested in this because the good lady sold her '93 ZX TD 2yrs ago and took over using my Xantia TD of the same age. Now we have just replaced the Xantia with a Sept'98 Xsara TD Exclusive.

Our Xsara has basically the same engine/inj pump as the ZX and Xantia TD models. They all had slight variation in the amount of ECU input. As stated a '93 ZX was the most "basic", the later Xantias added an ECU/vacuum control to the idle speed (often faulty).

This Xsara still has the basic inj pump but the stop valve is immobiliser controlled with the electronic type key. Also I'm sure the EGR plus glowplugs are controlled by the ECU.

However this is nothing like the full ECU control of HDI egines and I would have no fear at all of an early Xsara from this point of view.

Comparing our '98 Xsara to the '93 ZX the Xsara is better built with a far far better interior. The ride/refinement is better but it does feel a fraction heavier and slower. The gearing (in 4/5th) feels higher but I haven't checked this out properly yet. I always liked the early ZX TD for its slightly raw feel and rapid overtaking. A great main/B-road cross country car.

Overall the Xsara is a worthy replacement for our ZX (via 2ys with the Xantia). With the 1.9TD engine, solid rust free body, comfy interior, climate control, 6CD audio plus other neat touches it was a blooming bargain.

But then Citroens are aren't they!

David

PS. Many thanks to Alan S for fighting with the forum software to get me back on here after a fair break. Cheers Alan.
Mariner
My Cars:

Post by Mariner »

Thanks for info gents.

I am still torn between an exact replacement of the ZX 1.9D as you suggest James and pilfering all the good parts of the failed ZX.

What would you suggest taking off as a minimum apart from the obvious good tyres and exhaust and as you've mentioned the starter.

Is it worth removing the fuel pump as it's a bosch?

I need to find out what model this xsara is I've been offered. I am certain they mentioned it's an HDI. Though looking at autotrader 800 is very cheap for an HDI. Would you suggest satying clear of the HDI David?

Kind Regards

Mariner
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I have very specific vehicle needs and within those are that I should be able to do pretty well everything to our cars at sensible costs. I like minimal electronic control as otherwise it introduces an element of doubt when looking at problems.

So I have chosen not to go the HDi route with the Xsara. It is also very likely I will buy a late Xantia estate in a month or two and this too will be a 1.9TD not HDi.

I am pleased that others enjoy the extra performance/economy of the HDi and would never argue against that... just not for me at this time.

BTW is it only the engine on your old ZX that is no good? What about a used engine replacement? I know where there is a '93 ZX Advantage in P.boro that is going to be scrapped but has one of the best engines you will find. The car is still whole and it can be heard running/driven in a yard.

David
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I have not seen any posts of Bosch pump failures, but now that I have said that you better keep it as a spare!! :roll: :lol:

Wing mirrors, wiper motors, window elec motors, maybe the rear door lock mechanism. Battery, maybe you could paint and store the radiator full of oil to prevent it rusting. (I have one in that condition gathering dust in my shed!) That's all that comes to mind at the moment, maybe others can add stuff I forgot about.. :oops: lol

Swopping engines sounds like a good idea.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I had to replace a Bosch pump on a mates Xantia a few weeks ago, the car just stopped, no other symptoms, it had just rolled past the 200,000 mile mark though, a £30 pump from the scrapyard fixed it though.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

For what its worth I've got a Xsara 1.9 D which I've been running for a few years now with very few (small) probs..... change my own oil and filter every 6k as it says on the speedo. I find it a great little car its a delight to drive, now on 142k and still going strong (touch wood).
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
Mariner
My Cars:

Post by Mariner »

Well, everything changed in the last few days and I ended up buying out of desperation a pug 406 1.9 DT. P reg.

I am now going to get the cambelt and water pump done as soon as I can.

Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner as well at the same time?

Also can use Antigel in this engine or should I use the recommended Procor 3000?
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Should I buy a Citroen Xsara to replace failed ZX

Post by JohnD »

Mariner wrote:
Do I need to replace the timing belt tensioner as well at the same time?

Also can use Antigel in this engine or should I use the recommended Procor 3000?
Depends on the mileage. I've found that if mileage is less than 100K, I've not needed to change tensioners - although check them for roughness - likewise the water pump. Antigel is ok in Citroens so I see no reason against using it in a Pug.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Do remember you are not judging the old tensioner how it feels now.... but for how it could be in another 50K-72K before the next belt change!

David