Xantia Horn Relay Location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rdj104

Xantia Horn Relay Location

Post by rdj104 »

Trying to troubleshoot why my horn isn't working, following the reassembly of my heater matrix job.

I reckon I need to find the horn compressor relay to check what's going on.

Haynes is no help.

So anyone got a diagram of relay locations for the Mk2 Xantia HDi? Or just tell me where the horn relay is?
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

This doesn't show a relay mind...
BF00 - fuse box
BB10 - +ve supply box (my arch nemesis :x )
0002 - signals and lighting switch
2520 - horn
B002 - earth equipotential post
M001 - earth beside battery in nearside

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

It's the very same identical diagram in the Haynes as the pukka Citroen manual - honest!
I've got it in section 13.29 of my early Haynes 93-95 too!

Andrew

and 13.57 in the 93-98 manual...
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

In the Mk2's horn is on steering wheel not indicator, so is different than diagram shown.

In Haynes 93-01 13.57 covers Horns etc. from 1998, this shows 2505 Air Horn compressor Relay. So it is this relay I am trying to find.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi, fair comment. I saw the newer diagram in the latest haynes - usually
Citroen like stuffing a remote relay in the engine bay - there's some in the
nearside primary power box but it would be a coincidence if the horn has
given up here after you've totally dismantled the whole dash - I think it
points to the rotary switch when I think about it - are you totally sure
you've checked all the connections in the steering column etc!?

Andrew
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Well problem is, I also had the front bumper off, replacing a fog light, and as the horn is apparently under there, well I expect I have got a connector loose somewhere, but it could be at either end of the circuit as it were. I figured from looking at the diagram that the relay would be a nice easy place to start fault finding from.

I have already re-removed the airbag and started tracing things, but was hoping to avoid taking too much apart at the wrong end of the car.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi, my French translation isn't 100% from a French L'Expert Automobile
manual I've got here, but look at the positive power feed box. There's
the fuse tray on the far right, the BIG fuses stepped forwards to the
left and finally on the left there's a row of 3 relays (or at least space
for 3 dependent on spec). I'd look at these 3...

Andrew
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

From looking at that diagram it hasn't got a relay. Air horns have a compressor and take a considerable current - and would be wired nicely with a relay - but ordinary horns take slightly less current and are often wired without one.

Bet it works if you clean the connectors.

Otherwise if you can find the wiring just fit a generic one (they're cheap but only singel tone - and you probably have a pair fitted)

Some Xantias have a harness crossing the car low down at the front somethere. This is in a nice bit of split trunking - which if you ae unlucky has the split uppermost - so it fills with water - and corrodes the cables . . .
jeremy
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

Coming back with the answer on this one, for future reference for others.

I fixed my horn problem, turned out it was one of the connectors near the steering wheel that had been savaged, some soldering iron work fixed it.

But anyway, yes my xantia does have a relay for the horn, as I suspect must have all mk2 xantias, not because there is (or is not) a compressor to activate, but because sending all the current for the horn up a little ribbon cable to the steering wheel just makes no sense.

There are a load of relays down in the driver's footwell, you have to unclip some of the carpet to get to them. There you will see various random relays and 3 or 4 green ones in a line. I have 2 exclusives Hdi's, one has 4 relays, the later one has just 3, and a gap for one (ie no relay base) near the door.
The relay in question is in the second hole, working from door to centre of car, on the 3 relay car, the one closest to door, on 4 relay car 2nd one from door.
To test the horn, use a jumper to connect the terminal at front side of car, to one at the back side. The 2 terminals to the sides are the trigger to the relay that come from the steering wheel.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
evilclive

Re: Xantia Horn Relay Location

Post by evilclive »

From the future : helped me :-) Relay had got damp at some point and thus died. All that arsing around taking the bumper off to get at the horns was unnecessary, though now I know how to get the bumper off which may be useful in the future.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

On my S2 V6 the horn was easily reached by putting the wheels on full right lock and removing the n/s wheel archliner halfway. No need to really remove the wheel either. I replaced the horn and put new wires onto it like this. I imagine other models are similar.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

I got the wheel archliner half off like that, but the horns were mounted too far forwards and too high to get to sensibly. Fortunately the bumper is pretty simple to take off. X reg HDi.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

The arm they are mounted on on my V6 was spectacularly flexible.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

:-) Maybe they shortened it for later ones - I didn't notice it being wobbly at all. Mine is also an estate - weren't they put together elsewhere, which would make it possible to have different detail like this? The bolt on mine is slightly higher than the bottom of the metal outer wing, with one horn beneath blocking access from below and one above.
xf1ref
My Cars: C5 2.0 HDI 163hp

Post by xf1ref »

Here is the horn diagram for mk2.
2505 is the relay.