Pug 405td new radiator

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GSB

Pug 405td new radiator

Post by GSB »

Has anyone changed the rad on a late 405td ( Jan 95 ) . According to Haynes to remove the bottom hose with a bayonet type connector you have to remove the body front panel assembly to get at it. Looks like a real pain in the A--- ( Unbelievable)
I hope this is not the case.

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Of all the jobs I have done on a 405TD I have never done this one :roll:

If you have an A/C then access is going to be a bit trying but I cannot believe you have to do that much disassembly, it should be getattable with a bit of lateral thought.

Our 405TD is not at home at the moment but when it is I'll take a gander. Funny thing is, I was looking in the very area just yesterday and I just cannot recall. Ours has A/C so it will represent the most difficult case.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GSB

Post by GSB »

Thanks, it has a/c. This is my wifes car on 140k, I changed the rad on my 406 2.1td 170k last month and it was fairly straightforward. They say pug rads go eventually.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Ive got the 405 glx td with a/c and it is possible to take the radiator out with out removing the front pannels.

I did it 2 yrs ago. A little fiddly but possible. From memory disconnet everything from the rad insitu pipes temps gauges etc, remove the air ducts/filter and then it just slides up.
406 lx 1.9td estate
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I'll be impressed if you can actually get the bayonet type fixings undone with the rad in situ. The only way I've sucessfully had 405 rads out is to either remove the whole front end of the car (nowhere near as hard as you would think) or to remove the rad and bottom hose complete.

Then, you can get at the fittings, change the bottom hose onto the new rad, and fit the rad and hose complete.

That bottom corner of the 405TD engine bay is indeed an utter pain. I wish you luck!
This is not a signature.
teethgrinder

Post by teethgrinder »

Been ther, done that. I can honestly say it's the most stupidest way of connecting hoses ever devised. So much so that I have a leak from the sensor below the top hose, and I daren't touch it incase I snap a lug.

I disconnected the bottom hose at the engine, cut some of the GRP slam panel as the fit so sooo tight it was illegal :twisted:

And whatever you do, don't buy a rad from a scrappy. Ever.

Robin
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

edit wrong place- never post tired
406 lx 1.9td estate
Decca
My Cars:

Post by Decca »

I changed the radiator in my 95 405 SRi manual about 4 or 5 years ago.
Cant remember it being too hard. definitely didnt have to remove bodywork or a/c stuff.
I think I used multigrips on bottom hose bayonet connection as in a bit of a tight spot

Decca
405SRi, 306XT, 406HDi
Past: 403, 504GL, R12GL, 406ST