Turbo's ? <-- update --now I need Help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Twiss

Turbo's ? <-- update --now I need Help

Post by Twiss »

Just q quick question My ZX td needs a new turbo and on ebay there are two turbo for sale

1) Garrett t3
2) IHI RHB6

Would these turbos fit my ZX ?

If not, Does any one have a turbo for sale ?

Thanks Vaughn
Last edited by Twiss on 03 Jan 2007, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Peugeot 206 1.4 SW, huge amounts of space for a little estate, feels responsive in the corners.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If they are both from XUD engines, I don't see why not, but if you can popssibly use a bright light and a mirror, you should be able to see what's written on your turbo.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Turbo failure on XUd's is almost unknown - what is wrong with yours?

As far as I know the standard ones were Garret and KKK - and the problem with one from an engine other than an XUD is that the fixings may not be quite the same - which may cause enormous grief.
jeremy
bernie
My Cars:

Re: Turbo's ?

Post by bernie »

Twiss wrote:Just q quick question My ZX td needs a new turbo and on ebay there are two turbo for sale

1) Garrett t3
2) IHI RHB6

Would these turbos fit my ZX ?

If not, Does any one have a turbo for sale ?

Thanks Vaughn
I have a new KKK one for sale :shock:
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Try taking your turbo off and cleaning up the waste gate. It could just be coked up and so stuck open.

Cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Thanks for the replys

BERNIE :-- how much do u want for your kkk turbo? and where abouts r u ?

Symtoms are :-

Power range dropped from 2200/3800 To 2200/3200 much more past 3200 and it feels like shes running out of puff.

White smoke when under heavy load / accelerating either in gear or through the gears.

Oil seems to be leaking from the turbo itself.

thanks twiss
Peugeot 206 1.4 SW, huge amounts of space for a little estate, feels responsive in the corners.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Twiss wrote:Thanks for the replys

BERNIE :-- how much do u want for your kkk turbo? and where abouts r u ?
£100

Southampton
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Well after taking the turbo(thanks bernie) to a garage to be fitted, they say to fit the turbo is to drop the engine out of the car which they say a is a 16 hour job.

is this right?

If so then I'll have to bitthe bullit and send it to citroen if not then I ask how can it be done ?

Thanks Vaughn
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I would be very surprised if this was an engine out job.

On the Xantia, you can access it from underneath, although I would recommend taking the inlet manifold off to get better access from the top.

Surely the ZX, although smaller, can't be that much more difficult ?

Now, as for my 406 2.1TD..... that is ( aparently ) an engine out job...
405 STi Auto Est
Cruise, Aircon, Sunroof
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thats absolute tosh. the turbo can be done from under the car by removing a driveshaft iirc . noway 16hours unless you have only one arm and are a wee bit slow tbh.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Compare your new and old turbochargers, if one is kkk and the other Garrett you will need to obtain the appropriate oil feed pipe, that is just about the only difference, around £20 from citroen, I changed the turbo on my BX last year, completewith exhaust manfold in approximately three hours including swear breaks :wink:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

Thanks for the replys.

I thought the time was a bit long-- so really I could do it my self? the only thing is I dont have a boost gauge to check what the psi is once the turbo is fitted.

Other then the tools to remove/refit the turbo and a boost gauge is there any thing special I would need if I was going to replace the turbo? or Do?

Stewart(oily) -- THe new unit is a KKK K14 which is the same as whats on the car. That I was lucky about.

Thanks Vaughn
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Boost gauges are cheap enough - and on a ZX I suppose it would go in a pod on the dash top shelf somewhere. Engine end is simply connected into the pipe from the (intercooler?) to the injection pump extra fuel device. Panel lights could be connected to side light circuit.

http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/Engine.html

You may need some gaskets - and of course a good set of sockets/spanners to get heat corroded bolts off. Probably worth soaking with Plus Gas (better than WD 40) several times before starting, cleaning rusted studs with a wire brush before starting to undo can help as well as lubricating with proper oil so that once the nut starts to move it goes over the lubricated stud rather than rusty dry metal.
jeremy
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I have had two XUD9 Turbos go.. both have been lack of lubrication to the impeller.. Noise, smoke and no power..

I think I did both from the top reasonably easily. I removed an engine mount which meant the engine could be moved / tilted to help access to inlet manifold.

On one job, I did get a spare turbo from another 405, and the exhaust flange was about 5mm different position on that unit, after putting all back together, I couldn't select gears at all, painful!.. just make sure the unit is exactly the same :)

John G