C5 Climate Control Fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

C5 Climate Control Fault

Post by KevMayer »

Today the climate control in my C5 went faulty.

The blower runs flat out as soon as I switch on the engine and at the same time the symbol for the fan speed in the green control panel is blank. i.e. no black bits to represent fan speed.

Also, the '+' '-' button on the left for fan speed control doesn't work and the Economy button doesn't work.

If I press the cental button to select auto mode the 'auto' light comes on and also I can operate the screen clear button.

I usually drive with the economy mode selected but, today, this wouldn't work.

Does anyone know what could be the problem ?

thanks, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

sounds like the transistor pack has gone,its located in the heater box on the drivers side held in by 2 T-20 screws & has 2 connectors on it.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

My climate control is now working.

The work was done under a 1 year warranty I got when I purchased the C5.

The dealer changed the transistor pack which is a module just to the left of the clutch pedal., held onto the heater ducting by 2 x 6mm bolts. Its a printed circuit board with a power transistor mounted on a large aluminium heat sink. The circuit board is enclosed in a black box.

Apparently, the power transistor controls the supply to the blower motor. The transistor can fail by going to short circuit. Full volts is then applied to the motor all the time without any control so the fan runs at full speed.

With a new unit fitted the fan runs as it should.

Thanks wheeler for your reply.

cheers, Kev

ps. a new transistor unit including heat sink can be obtained for around 45 GBP apparently (according to a Yahoo chat forum on C5s).
Cheers, Kev

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
den169
My Cars:

heater

Post by den169 »

Mines done the same as kevmayers any idea where to get one of these circuit boards cheap.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder how repairable they are?

If they are anything like the Xantia then it should be possible to replace the power transistor. It's not an MJ1105 by any chance is it?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

The question of which transistor it is has been covered on a C5 forum on Yahoo. I've cut and paste an extract below (not sure if this infringes anything ?):-

"I tried looking for a replacement power transistor. I found that
the device is probably RoHS compliant. The transistor was extremely
difficult to un-solder. I think they use the new solder which does
not contain any lead and has a higher melting point.
>
> I ended up marmalising the circuit board when I took the transistor
out.
>
> I am not certain that it is a bi-polar transistor although it is
wired in series with the fan which would suggest that it is a common
base power regulator. It may be a Darlington. It is marked as 0205
then H80NF55-08. Made in Morocco. I could not find any reference to
it in any semiconductor book, e.g. Towers or on the web. The circuit
is fused at 40 Amps so the collector current of the transistor must
be greater than that. There are not that many 40+ Amp transistors
around.
>
> I would be interested to know if you get any further in this than I
did. This appears to be a common fault and it would be good to be
able to fix the electronic fault rather than relying on bolting in a
new unit.
>"

Hope this helps. Kev
Cheers, Kev

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Kev,

I shall go looking around. More than likely it's a Darlington but the 40A rating is a bit of a misnomer. A fuse will never protect a transistor anyway. The transistor will always be the faster acting fuse.

The data given for the transistor looks like a manufacturers code rather than any standard, well known transistor descriptor.

If anyone has one of these modules faulty knocking around, gathering dust, I'd be more than happy to cast my eye over it and see what I can make of it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The usual arrangement for the Xantia/XM controllers is to have two PNP Darlington pairs, but I have always replaced mine with conventional PNP transistors and they have worked OK. I am not familiar with the C5 but I would suspect that it would be PNP although if there is only one it could be rated at a higher current. I retired from the TV trade a few years ago and havn't met this lead free rubbish yet so can't comment. I soldered with tin/lead solder for about 50 years and as far as I can tell it hasn' done me any harm. :? :?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: I retired from the TV trade a few years ago and havn't met this lead free rubbish yet so can't comment. I soldered with tin/lead solder for about 50 years and as far as I can tell it hasn' done me any harm. :? :?
Same here, I've been an electronics engineer for 31 years now and started soldering in earnest at age 11 and no harm to me either unless this is the reason why we love Citroens :roll:

This new tin solder is not nice at all and is a bit of a ticking time-bomb. Tin is great for growing little conductive "whiskers" that cause shorts between adjacent points, especially on integrated circuits. Remember how AF11x series transistors used to fail so very frequently? All down to tin whiskers!

Don't tell anyone but I have enough 60:40 solder stashed away to last me several lifetimes, both at home and at work!
Jim

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The H80N55 part number would suggest something like a hexfet pwr transistor in my opinion.

Try look for anything matching a hexfet allowing drain source voltage & current matching the figures 80 & 55.
It would be a pretty hefty hex P-channel to allow 55A, 80V.

But Philips has for years marketed BUK types allowing 45A & 50V. These are N-channels however.

I recommand you re-check that the transistor really is a highside type, or even in the highside part of the blower circuit. It would be much more likely to have a hefty pwr HexFet in N-channel ('NPN') type - i.e. in the ground path of the circuit.
The reason is that P-channels are much more complex to fabricate - and hence would be a small fortune in these pwr ratings.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
den169
My Cars:

resistor

Post by den169 »

Well went to citroen bought a new one of these resister thingys with the big alloy fins on looked exactly the same as mine but when i got home and tried to fit it the new one is slightly different,the little grooves which guide the plugs in were in a different place.They have ordered another for tomorrow.price £42
den169
My Cars:

heater

Post by den169 »

Got the right one today all ok again.
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

Last edited by svesey on 18 Mar 2007, 00:33, edited 2 times in total.
svesey
My Cars:

Post by svesey »

* S Stock No. 486-1966
* Manufacturer ST Microelectronics
* Manu. part no. STB80NF55L-08

The prefix letters normally signify the manufacturer. As fae as I can tell the -08 suffix signifies the package type. price about 2euro