ZX fuel gauge very pessimistic

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Insect

ZX fuel gauge very pessimistic

Post by Insect »

The fuel gauge in my ZX TD has always been very pessimistic, and reads empty when there is still 10 litres of fuel in the tank - over 100 miles-worth. Is there any way that the sender unit or the gauge can be adjusted so that it more accurately reflects the state of the fuel reserves?
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mine's just the same - 4 or 5 gallons in it when the light comes on. Rest's ok so I just live with it - and use the trip meter for re-assurance.
jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Mines also like that.. Reads empty, light comes on, but only takes about 38-40 litres to fill up? I don't mind though, it's better than running out of fuel!! :roll: :D :)

PS.. I keep a 3 litre bottle of cooking oil in the boot in case I ever run out of fuel.. in a diesel car it will get you to a garage.. :D
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
srx600

Post by srx600 »

Oddly enough one of mine is optimistic, not long after the red light comes on it will start surging and accelerating on a steady throttle. Quite unnerving when it first happened to me
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Do they still use a float on a wire arm for the sender? if so you could bend the arm so that the float doesnt rest on the bottom of the tank.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

ZX fuel gauges are a law unto themselves - the only gauges in the world which tell you that there's more fuel in the tank 10 minutes into a journey than what you started with...

Trying to brim a ZX fuel tank is an art in itself, though. Full = full +/- 5 litres - it seems the less there is in there, the less you can get in there. The 1.8i Auto will do about 300-320 miles on a tankful; the TD...550 ish, but have squeezed 600 out of it although I think I was on fumes by the end of it.
Insect

Post by Insect »

Thanks for your responses. Does anyone know if the sender is the 'ballcock' (hope I can get away with that!) type, or is it something else?
ex-ZX TD Estate owner - (309,000 miles on the original engine and turbo) now risking a Renault.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep its a float on a wire,mind you though you will need to remove your rear seat to get at it,the plastic ring nut is a bit of a whotsit though
regards malcolm
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My old 1.4i ZX had fuel pickup problems when it was low. It once nearly left me on the M62 (after I'd only had it for 3 days!) and often wouldn't start when parked uphill - I'd have to roll it onto the road, where it would start straight away. Never managed to put more than 44 litres in it though! I've never forced the issue in the TD...

I'd play it safe in a ZX - once the yellow light is on continuously (not just when going around roundabouts), get it filled up.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto