My VSX is again a VSX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ekaftan
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2006 C5 II Exclusive V6
1996 Volvo 940

My VSX is again a VSX

Post by ekaftan »

Yesterday I installed the HA2 ECU Phil Howard sold me and it works!

I am eternaly grateful to him, Mandrake, Andy and all the posters who helped me with the diagnose and fixing of the suspension.

Thanks to all of you :)

Good week last week. I fixed the clock (broken solder) the miniturbine (stuck motor, cleaned and lubed) a nasty leak (an oring in the LHM pump output connection) and the suspension.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Great news!

So how is the ride now ? Do you think the ride is as it should be ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

Mandrake wrote:Great news!

Regards,
Simon
The ride in the back is perfect, way, way better than my other Xantia (also a VSX but with older spheres). In the front the difference between soft and hard is not very noticiable, so I'll be replacing that sphere next week.

One thing I now notice is that valves close almost immediatly after shutting down the engine (suspension goes hard), before the electrovalves close, so system pressure is dropping fast... Maybe I should replace the accumulator and antisink spheres also. That would make the car have all new spheres :)
Last edited by ekaftan on 03 Dec 2006, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Glad it got to you OK in one piece and also has got your car back to health.

A pleasure to be of help.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

ekaftan wrote:
Mandrake wrote:Great news!

Regards,
Simon
The ride in the back is perfect, way, way better than my other Xantia (also a VSX but with older spheres). In the front the difference between soft and hard is not very noticiable, so I'll be replacing that sphere next week.
Front Hydractive centre sphere ?
One thing I now notice is that valves close almost immediatly after shutting down the engine (suspension goes hard), before the electrovalves close, so system pressure is dropping fast... Maybe I should replace the accumulator and antisink spheres also. That would make the car have all new spheres :)
The anti-sink sphere won't have an effect on this problem, but should be checked anyway, as it's important for rear brakes.

Either your accumulator sphere is almost flat, or there is high leakage in the system somewhere. (Or both!)

I had a similar problem where even with a new accumulator sphere, the front suspension would become hard about 20 seconds after turning off the engine, despite the doors being open to keep the electrovalves energized. (The back would also go hard after about 2 minutes)

In my car it turned out to be high leakage in the front electrovalve, which I eventually replaced, and it fixed the problem.

However bear in mind that ANY problem that causes high leakage from the main pressure supply will give the same effect, and a little detective work might be needed to find it.

If the accumulator sphere is suspect or unknown that would be a good place to start though, and replacing it as a matter of course at least every 3 years is usually a good idea since so many systems (front brakes included!) rely on it for reliable operation.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
ekaftan
Donor 2023
1996 Volvo 940

Post by ekaftan »

Mandrake wrote: Front Hydractive centre sphere ?
Yep. I have both hydractive spheres and rear antisink in the trunk, just had no time (and no decent lift) to change them.
Mandrake wrote: The anti-sink sphere won't have an effect on this problem, but should be checked anyway, as it's important for rear brakes.

Either your accumulator sphere is almost flat, or there is high leakage in the system somewhere. (Or both!)
Plans for next week include replacing the LHM with hydraflush now that no external leaks are visible (I did not want to leave orange pools on every parking spot) an replacing the rest of the spheres.

Will then start checking for internal leaks and report again.

Thanks.

EK.