Fog light relay - XM same as 605?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Adstar
My Cars:

Fog light relay - XM same as 605?

Post by Adstar »

I'm hoping that as I can't find anythign on the Pug 605 anywhere, the people in the know about the cit XM might be able to help.

I am looking for the Front Fog Light Relay.

My car probably doesn't have one fitted, as I had 'dummy' fog lights and indicators. I have since replaced these with proper lights, and fitted a new swtich. But they still don't work.

I am suspecting that there is a relay missing?

What does it look like and where is it in the XM? What is it near? If i can work out where I am looking, i can see if the huge amount of spare relays I have been sent will fit!

thanks

Adam.
605 Only an SL but it is a DT with a shake rattle and role!
Mk 1 MR2 waiting to have the final useful bits removed... RIP.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

The relays for both front and rear fogs in the XM are in the internal fusebox under the glove compartment. I don't know enough about the 605 to even hazard a guess if it has the same arrangement though! :(
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

Don't worry about the guess work. What are the like on the XM? At least now I know I am looking in the right place! I would be VERY surprised if the location and arrangements differed by much.

All i need is someone to tell me what the rear fog light relay looks like is called or numbered, and I can work from there to locate the front relay location.

On the 605 the fuses sit in a "pull down" panel. Infront of this is a selection of relays, I have 2 or 3 relays and then a space... it is this space I think could be what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, none of the relays are named anythign sensible!

I will eventually bite the bullet and go to peugeot, but I suspect they wont be able/willing to help due to the age of the car.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

I haven't had to look at this in my own car, but on information I've found on the XM mailing list, there are a set of 9 relays clustered together. I don't know whether this is in the pull down fusebox, or among the other stuff which you can only access by removing the glove box.

Of this cluster of relays, the frontmost right one at the corner, is the front fogs, with the rear being diagonally opposite it.
Sorry for the vagueness, just its been a while (thankfully) since I've had the fusebox down, so I cant recall if the relays are on the back of it or under the glove box.

Hopefully some of this will sound familiar!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As the function of the relay is to make a simple current path, the relay will be a single make contact relay. About the most common relay type at all.
You will need a simple relay for extra lights, horns etc. Available at some £1.5-£3 depending on where you purchase it.

You can of course go to your Peugeot dealer and get the same relay in the correct package colour and some obscure Peug part no printed on it.
But then you will have to pay 10x the price indicated above.
Of course you then get the relay in a nice airtight plastic bag with Peugeot logo.

PS : the relay socket in your car is made such it will only accept the relay inserted the correct way.
If there is a relay socket that you suspect is the one for you - try it with a relay inserted. What could go wrong ? Absolutely nothing will explode up your face.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Adstar
My Cars:

Post by Adstar »

subtle like a brick but surprisingly helpful! I will sit and try a few of the various green boxes I have at my disposal!

Thanks Anders!