help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

help needed

Post by mallyg »

I have an M reg xantia 1.8i. The hydraulic pressure and fluid levels and the red stop light come on occasionally whilst I am driving but then goes off after a second. please could some one help with what I should be looking for. Not being mechanically minded and totaly unfamiliar with Cit hydraulics I haven't a clue of what i should be looking for . Thanks in advance
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Most likely the hydraulic oil level is bit low.
Raise the car to maximum height with the height lever beside the gear lever and check the little orange disc in the plastic sight tube on the top of the hydraulic fluid reservior. it should settle between the two red rings.

If you can't see it at all, its probably too low. Buy a couple of litres of LHM at your local GSF/Andyspares at top up until the level is correct.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Nisk said but with the car parked on level ground,like petrol station forcourt and wait for the car to stop going up
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree - make sure there's enough LHM in there first - I would expect the light to flash on braking or cornering if the level is low.

If that doesn't help - it could be the Flow Divider valve IF your car has one. In 94 anti-sink was introduced which meant some rather fundamental changes to the hydraulic system. The earlier cars have what is basically a BX system with a single outlet pump and a flow divider to provide the pressurised LHM for the power steering. Later cars with anti-sink have a 2 outlet pump, with 6 pistons in the pump powering the steering and the remaining 2 the brakes and suspension.

I had problems with loss of pressure on my BX with plenty of LHM etc - and eventually traced them to an incorrectly assembled FDV. There was obviously something wrong as the car was very slow to rise and holding the steering wheel against load made it rise quicker. I could make the light go out by turning a corner.

its probably low LHM.
jeremy
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Check the top of your LHM resevoir. I had a problem with the seal on mine recently, and LHM was slopping out when I cornered hard. After a couple of weeks the contents would be low enough to trigger the STOP light. After manipulating the seal about I have cured the problem and it doesn't happen any more

regards

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink