ZX TD noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

srx600

ZX TD noises

Post by srx600 »

A noise in my wifes ZX TD (100,000 miles), has been getting progressively worse, to the point were I need to do something about it (if it stops raining)
I have a grumbling/rumbling coming from the gearbox area. Its is only noticeable when the car is under light load and pulling low gears. A good example being when coasting on a light throttle in 4th at 30mph. Increasing the load or revs (changing down) and the noise goes away. A bumpy road seems to make it worse and I have also tried dipping the clutch when still in gear and the noise is still apparent. Its apparent in 4th and 5th and occasionally in 3rd. It doesnt change when cornering.
I had diffs go before with no warning (another ZX), it doesnt sound like the typical drive shaft 'knocking' when turning, or the anti-roll bar drop link knock.
I'm going to try and get under the car the weekend to check drive shafts etc. What should I be looking for ?. Any suggestion ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You should be looking for secure and leakproof gaiters, play - both up and down (or side to side) and twist - as well as any other damage - and the state of the bearing supporting the offside one.

While you're poking around - check all the engine mounts including the one from which the gearbox hangs from the battery tray
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check the centre bearing on the o/s driveshaft.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when the lower engine mount completly brakes up you get a rummbeling noise
regards malcolm
srx600

Post by srx600 »

Thanks for the input, unfortunately I couldnt find anything obvious. I used a long tyre lever to move things around and couldnt find any play in anything. The geabox engine mount has more play than my non-turbo ZX, by tugging on the vac pump I could move the engine about 6-7mm whereas by non-turbo is around 3-4mm. Doesnt seem excessive though. Rear and top engine mount look fine. Checked the oil level and oil was clear and the right level.
Can the gearbox be changed with the engine in situ ?.
Last edited by srx600 on 27 Nov 2006, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.
swiss_steve
My Cars:

Post by swiss_steve »

Yep, did one on my ZX TD last year. Incidentally, I had a rumbling like you describe - then I lost fifth gear altogether, hence the necessity to change the 'box.
For your info:- Thee's no major problems to look out for, but just takes time to get all the ancilliary bits off, etc.; and I would recommend taking out both driveshats to make re-installation of the gearbox earier (Haynes say you can move them out of the way, but if you're doing the job on your own, like I did, then having drive shafts in-situ makes the job more difficult). Nevertheless, it's virtually an all-day job.
One final recommendation, use only the correct gearbox oil (from memory: EP85 I think, but please check). Anything else and the 'box runs rough.
Good luck!
Proud owner of two Citroens:-
'R' reg 1998 Xantia 1.9 TD Temptation Estate.
'N' reg 1996 ZX 1.9 TD Aura Estate.