Oil in the speedometer drive --SOLVED--

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

Oil in the speedometer drive --SOLVED--

Post by oscarloco »

Hi guys

About 2 weeks ago, my speedometer stopped working. I tested the upper cable and it was OK. So I assumed the lower one was damaged.

Upon removing the lower cable, I discovered one of the 2 o-rings fitted to the lower connector was missing and the cable and the speedometer drive where full of oil. I don't know it this is normal?

I didn't replaced the cable (left it at home :oops: ) at that time but now I'm not sure if it is damaged as it looked good and turned. The only thing I didn't checked was the length of the end that enters the speedometer drive. I recall that it was smaller than the one in the new cable. I will check this weekend.
Last edited by oscarloco on 07 Apr 2007, 18:07, edited 2 times in total.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its normal to find some oil there.
Besides, the speedo drive and the cable are rotating parts, which will take advantage of the oil.

No damage at all 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

BUT you don't want too much of the stuff - as it may get in the head and mess it up. I think the advice in the days of grease was to leave the top 300mm clean

I doubt if, with all the seals in place the cable would pump enough oil upwards to get to the head.
jeremy
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Well, I finally made some time and replaced the cable. No luck, still the same.

How can I know if the speedometer drive is the one to blame? I was thinking in putting the car in jackstands and running it with the speedo cable open, so I can see if the lower one turns.

Any other ideas?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You just have to lift RHS frontwheel clear of ground, while the LHS is blocked by wooden blocks. Handbrake applied on the rears of course.

Then its easy to visually test the speedo drive/cable.
Be careful though - dont be too eager speeding up the wheel :?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I finally solved this!

I haven't had time to check the lower cable, but this week (Holy week in my country, no work :D ) I raised the right side of the car and locked the left side wheel. Started the engine, and voila! the lower cable wasn't turning :cry:

So speedometer drive must be the culprit. So I moved the car to the ramp. Removed cable and speedo drive.

The culprit: The square plastic pin that receives the movement from the pinion (which by the way was OK) had broken. So I took an allen wrench that fitted in the square hole, then drilled in the original shaft on the speedo drive, so the piece of allen wrench would fit in a very tight way.

When the hole was big enough, I inserted the piece in the pinion's shat and then assembled the whole thing.

And Presto! Speedo now works preety well :P And in time, local traffic enforcement has started installing those dang speed cameras and I was cruising at supposedely 70 km/h that was more like 80 :shock: Thankfully, no tickets so far 8)
Oscar Lopez