Xantia blower - fan not working as it should

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

icedfusion

Xantia blower - fan not working as it should

Post by icedfusion »

The xantia that I have bought, 2.0HDI year 2000 has an issue with the blower/fan that I hope someone can help me diagnose!

Symptoms:
Heating/AirCon works, however, the fan is either 'very slow' until the point i move the slider right up to max where I have a tiny bit of control before the fan is blowing at maximum.
The 'Auto' part of the control also does not seem to do anything in terms of controlling the speed of the fan.

Possible Solution:
After reading this site posted by someone else on this great site:
http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/cooling/heating.php

it talks mostly about the BX and states that this sort of issue can be down to a faulty transistor.

What I would like to know is:
1. Is it likely to be the same transistor for my xantia?
2. If so, where is this transistor located and is it easy to get to/replace?

If i barking up the wrong tree then please help direct me.

Help much appreciated.

Thanks

ice.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I believe that its the same blower that the XM uses, in which case the transistors are mounted on the blower motor itself. The type No is below my signature. The motor unit is located under the glove box and is held in place by three screws and one or two plugs are connected to it. The easiest thing to do is get a complete motor unit from a scrapyard but thetransistors are not difficult to change if you can use a drill and soldering iron.
icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

Peter,
Thanks for the quick response.
I have seen you post this before, but each time peoples blower issues have been different. Will take out the motor at the weekend and have a look at what needs to be done to replace the transistor.

Thanks

ice.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ice - There are actually two transistors and they a riveted onto a heat sink on the side of the motor, the motor will have to be removed from the housing which requires compressing the three rubber blocks which locate the it. Failure of the transistors can give several different effects - no blower, blower full on or blower intermittent, I have not known them cause your problem, but they could. The alternative would be a faulty control panel not applying the correct switching voltage to the transistors, but I think this is unlikely.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

When you go to maximun speed, the transistors are out of circuit, bypassed by a relay under the motor drive board.
That seems to work, but not the regulating transistors.
There is also a heater/climate control CPU to the right of the blower motor, towards the centre of the dash, and it’s prone to dry joints.
Also ensure that the pollen filter isn’t so black that the air can’t pass through it anymore.
The filter can be washed even though it’s meant to be replaced only.
Removing the filter for a short while to test the fan speeds won’t hurt.

Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
icedfusion

Post by icedfusion »

Thanks alot for the pointers - the picutres and the code for the transistor is a great help.

Will check the filter as suggested and will wash it too. Transistor probably a bit more tricky - but i will get out my trusty soldering iron and give it a go.

I am sure if i have any problems once I have done it all I will ressurect my posts.

Thanks again.

ice.