Xantia 1.9 td just lost fifth gear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

walnut
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9 td just lost fifth gear

Post by walnut »

Driving my car today I suddenly lost fifth gear.
Now whenever I try to select fifth it stick jumps into neutral.
Is this a new gearbox job or can I get away with replacing the fifth gear cog?

Any help much appreciated.

PS Car = 197,000 miles other gears seem fine.
Live long and prosper
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Firstly - are you sure its the gearbox - not the linkage preventing it going in properly in the first place. The linkage is known to wear - and certainly the little white cross links are not expensive from Citroen.

Apparently 5th gear can be dismantled with the gearbox still in the car.
jeremy
danthevan

Post by danthevan »

To "suddenly" lose 5th gear it's more likely to be the linkage as said above.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

If you jack up the front of the car and pop it on some axle stands, remove the left front wheel, you will see the end of the gearbox.

The gearbox is ally apart from the oval (sort of) shaped casing on the end, held on with a ring of bolts, in this casing hides the 5th gear.

5th Gear can be stripped, removed or replaced without the need to remove the gearbox from the car, not a difficult job but there is a spring and ball to contend with, this can be a bit fiddly to get back in.

As already suggested, check the linkage first, but I doubt if this will be the problem.

Also when finished, dont forget to check the gearbox oil level regulary, as when it gets low on oil, 5th gear will allways suffer.

Regards
Slim.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have encountered the same problem on a BX BE3 diesel gearbox (same as Xantia) the car had been run for some time without enough oil in the box, fifth gear was the first casualty, I did not repair the box as I had a spare one but my bet is on the selector fork.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
walnut
My Cars:

Post by walnut »

Thanks for all the replies.
When I try to select fifth gear the gear box grinds then jumps into neutral, it feels like it is changing gear but just spits out of fifth when I lift the clutch.
I think a trip to the breakers is in order to suss out the fifth gear cogs.
Thank for the help.
Live long and prosper
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

If you need a gearbox I've got one from a Xantia 1.9td 1999 T. The car has done 63590 and I've got it as I had the engine and gearbox replaced in one unit due to a knackered engine.

Howie
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone