ZX front wing removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

FrenchLeave
My Cars:

ZX front wing removal

Post by FrenchLeave »

The windscreen washer filler pipe on my wife's ZX seems to be detached from the tank, it's loose and when I try to fill the tank most goes on the road.

As it's buried in the right hand front wing the obvious thing to do is remove the wing. The Haines BOL gives no info - obviously a half-spanner job. Problem is, I've removed the top row of bolts and the one under the back of the wing but it's still held fast. I suspect the front is bolted under the sidelight as per the XM but at the back, inside the door aperture, there seems to be a fastening with a plain head. No access to the back and it won't lever out. Can anybody help please?

Just for a laugh I pulled the inner lining out of the way, I could then see the tank but all I got for my trouble was an eyeful of dirt.

Regards,
Derek
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Hi Derek,

This might now be irrelevant to you as you have already started but recently, I had a similar problem on our '93 ZX.
However, ours turned out to be the pump body leaking which emptied the tank overnight.
I was able to gain access to the tank and pump by half removing the wing liner.
It is a struggle to get the wing lining buttons out and they are not resuable but replacements are available, although not exactly the same for a bargain 3p each from the dealer.
Once you have got the liner out of the way, you can can undo the two tank retaining screws, remove the repeater lamp and drop the tank out, although I only had to lower the tank to do what I needed.

All the best,

Kristian.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Thank you, Kristian.

Regards,
Derek
slim123

Post by slim123 »

This may help a bit!

On the Xantia it is possible to replace the filler pipe by removing the headlight and indicator, then you can stick yer hand in through the hole.

Dont know if it's the same on the ZX? but it could be worth a try.

Regards
Slim.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

To remove the wing undo the bolts across the top but leave a couple in half a turn. Remove the bolt at the bottom of the wing behind the front wheel. (blue circle)
Now comes the tricky bit, I can't remember if therer is a bolt inside the wind at the back edge of the door (red circle), if there is you'd need to remove this.
Then you need to wiggle the wing out past the locating lug for the washer bottle (green circle)

P.S There might be (in fact I'm sure) there's bolts behind the corner of the front bumper.

As said before you can get to the pump by removing the liner, taking out the bottom bolt will give alittle more room.
FrenchLeave
My Cars:

Post by FrenchLeave »

Thank you, Rossnunn,

I found the two bolts at the front,accessible through a hole in the inner wing. They screw into captive nuts, one of which of course broke free. Got to that one by pulling away the inner liner and working inside that. You also have to drop the bumper on that side to clear a vertical flange on the wing.
The killer is that stud at the back circled in red, I still don't have a clue how to free this. Eventually in desperation I left it attached, pulled the front of the wing outwards away from the body by about 600mm and had enough room to take out the tank.

The tank has a filler hole about half way up with a large flanged rubber sleeve. The filler pipe fits tightly into that, except that on this car the pipe had come out, taking the sleeve with it and there was no way you could feed it back into the tank in situ. I also found though that the pipe feeding the back screen washer had split so the job was worth doing, although there was one time, laying on my back under the car with my left arm thrust upwards through the inner wing and working by feel when I thought to myself "you silly old fool, you're 74. What the *$@! do you think you're doing?"

Definitely not a half spanner job.

Cheers all,
Derek
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

half a spanner and a curb stone cuter!!!!!!!!! by the sounds of you escapades, he he he,im sure you dont have to go to all that trouble to acces and or remove the washer tank,just remove the wing liner
regards malcolm
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

I think you do to remove the tank as you've not the room to pull it off its mountings - I might be wrong on that though