Xantia clutch clip - some easier than others!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dnsey

Xantia clutch clip - some easier than others!

Post by dnsey »

Having replaced the dreaded clutch cable to pedal clip on my previous Xantia (a Mk.1 TD), I wasn't looking forward much to doing the same job on the present car (Mk 1-2 'hybrid' 2.0 16v). I'd had to saw through the pedal bolt to get it out (and even then had to slightly bend the mount), and the cable proved a real pain to fit - the angle meant that I couldn't see it and clip it in at the same time!
However, this one was a completely different matter. Plenty of clearance for the bolt once the brake spring canister was removed, and best of all the cable enters from a completely different angle, so it was a doddle to clip in. If necessary, I could have done it at the roadside without much trouble.
It's now clear to me that there are at least two different arrangements, which would explain why some have found the job fairly quick and easy, and it's been a real pig for others!
Whether this difference relates to the manufacturing year, exact model, or simply variations in bought-in assemblies, I don't know, but I do know which I'd rather repair :D
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Late in 1995 when Citroen fitted 15" wheels as standard to TD and 2.0 Xantia's, one of the modifications at that time was to widen the footwell to the left of the clutch pedal which may explain the difference.
Berlingo Multispace 05 1.6 HDI
Picasso 02 HDI SX
Xantia 97 TD VSX
Xantia 96 Activa