Xantia steering rattleing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Xantia steering rattleing

Post by wonderd »

Never mind the leak I had in my last topic, the main problem now is the steering wheel that is rattleing when i turn it to the left or to the right.
it happens only when the car is on the move, and mostly when it's cold and during the first 5 minutes of the drive.
the vehicle is Xantia 96 2.0L 16V manual.
what could it be?

thank you,
Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is it more of a twitch than a wobble,if so it could be your pump is past its sell by date,or maybe the pump is sucking air from somewhere,what mileage has your car done
regards malcolm
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

170K km.
I actually thought it might be air in there, but how do i check it?
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Air can only get into the hydraulic system before the hydraulic pump - which really means the thick hose from the reservoir to the pump. This can perish or its ends get untidy due to being removed and replaced. It must be tightly clipped.

Leaks are of air inwards rather than LHM outwards as the pipe is under vacuum.

You can (for diagnostic purposes only) substitute a section of clean garden hose.

On some pumps the inlet union can give trouble - worth cleaning it off and having a good look for cracks.

Are you sure this isn't something like drop links or the rubber disc at the base of the steering column or even the bearings as the base of the column becoming displaced which can happen.

You may be able to see air in the reservoir when the engine is running - bubbles or more likely a green/white emulsion. Some bubbles may be due to the return system.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

what is 170K in english,high mileage can mean worn out pump,also
Jeremy
im sure drop links cant cause steering wheel to wobble or twitch
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Check that the belt is tight and not slipping on the pulley.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

170K km means around 110k-120k miles.
the belt is ok, i have some kind of leak from the base of the steering column, that was my other topic but no one helped me there and it seems like it's not realy leaking right now, only one big drop of oil there waiting to fall.
what is that rubber disk at the end of the steering clumn? what does it do?
There is no bubbles nor there is foam in the reservoir, only clean LHM.

Elad.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A flat rubber (in fact re-inforced with fabric I expect) joins the steering column to the steering pinion. With age it can crack and disintegrate.
jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

jeremy wrote:A flat rubber (in fact re-inforced with fabric I expect) joins the steering column to the steering pinion. With age it can crack and disintegrate.
can it leak oil in any way?
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Elad.

There are a number of factors that can affect the steering and it depends on what you mean by rattling.

Steering ram.
This ram is attached to the back of the steering rack, it's purpose is power assistance, turning the steering wheel pressurises one side of the ram to assist with the steering. The rams are fairly reliable and when they do go wrong, they simply leak, but even then they work fine.

Pinion Valve.
This is the "turret" attached to the top of the rack and the steering colum attaches to the top, Inside the pinion there is a valve and torsion bar arrangement, when you turn the steering one way the pinion will send the fluid to one side of the ram and the oppisite side when turning back. Failure is normally either external leakage from the top or into the steering rack (this will eventually release through the gaiters) or, stiff steering in one direction only.

Hydraulic Pump.
For the steering to work smooth the pump needs to supply lots of hydraulic fluid to the pinion at 150- constant, the steering is very sensitive to weakness in the pump. Problems here are usually stiff steering on first start up and untill the engine has warmed up a bit, then sometimes (as the pump gets worse) you can get intermittent heavy steering whilst driving. The colder the morning, the heavier the steering.
When the pump is worn, cold fluid will affect it, LHM is thicker when cold, as the engine warms up so does the LHM as it wams up, it thins slightly and the worn pump can cope better.

Fexible Coupling.
This is the coupling that joins the lower part of the steering column to the top of the pinion, normally the only time that you will know that this is worn, is when the MOT fail ticket tells you, the coupling is a metal cross coverd with rubber, cracking of the rubber will result in MOT fail but I doubt if you could "feel" a problem.

Column Universal Joint.
This joint is located just before the rubber coupling, they have been known to seize but this is rare, this will normally mean that you have to pull the steering back to center position after cornering.

From what you say, I would guess at the pump, try www.citroen-hydraulics.com for piccies and pricing, or ring Pleiades, I allways get my pumps here.

Regards
Slim.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wonderd wrote:
jeremy wrote:A flat rubber (in fact re-inforced with fabric I expect) joins the steering column to the steering pinion. With age it can crack and disintegrate.
can it leak oil in any way?
not if its the rubber flexi coupling,as this is just a disc made up out of two pieces of metal bonded together in rubber,if the fluid seems to be coming from it it must be either dripping or spraying onto it from below or above,but maybe the leak dose have some bearing on your problem
regards malcolm
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

As i said, there are no bubbles coming into the reservoir.
Also, the steering is very light and easy at all times.

the only problem except for the leak is the rattling coming from there, mainly at the first 5 minutes of driving.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99