How many miles out of a set of mitchalin energy tyres?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Barbarian

How many miles out of a set of mitchalin energy tyres?

Post by Barbarian »

I just got a pair of these tyres fitted to my xantia, Cost me 120quid fitted from costco 185 65 r15, I know this is cheeper for those tyres than from kwik-fit ect but was it a good deal and how many miles should i expect these tyres to last for? Im going to get anther pair fitted to the front soon, as my car had 3 wrong sized tyres fitted and they were remoulds to boot. Should have checked when i boaught the car! :?
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

It all depends on your style and type of driving, and what your car is.

My C5 HDI eats tyres in half the time that my Xsara did, still, Michelin's from Costco aren't expensive really.
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

yeah but what would average life time of the tyre be.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My Dad used to get about 25K from a set of Energys on the front of his(now mine)406,mainly motorway driving.I got just over 13K from my last set of 205/60/15 Energys on my pld Xantia Est,a mixture of motorways & town driving.
So it really does depend on car & what roads you use. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

hmm, I thought youd get more than that maybe about 35k, I do 20k a year, So they probably wont even last me a year and a half.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Michelin Energy WHAT ?

There is a whole range of tyres in the Michelin Energy range, from cheap to expensive with all kinds of different tread patterns and designs. The only thing common to all the Energy range is the Silica compounds which supposedly reduces rolling resistance.

Without being more specific about which tyres you got, nobody can really give a meaningful answer.... (Besides, tyre comparisons tend to come under "how long is a piece of string" at the best of times :) )

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

yes but out of the whole range there was only one or two tyres that actually fit a xantia, mines is a 185 65 R15 and as far as i am aware there is only one mitchlin energy tyre that size, or atleast one that is commonly stocked locally to me. il go have a look se which actual tyre it is.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Which engine is in your Xantia? Est or saloon? Type of driving?
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

i think they are 185/65 R15 speed rateing H

energy EA tyre

xantia
1.9td tempation
saloon

a mix of driving but most of the miles on motorways and country roads
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have just fitted a pair of Kleber tyres to the front of my XM, they have the same spec as Michelins and in fact are made by them but are somewhat cheaper. Mine are 195/65/15s and cost just over £100.00. fitted. The previous tyres were cheapies and did over 30k, but I am old and dont race about everywhere. so I am expecting even better from these.

Hydropnumatic cars should be better on tyres than lesser types as due to the self leveling suspension the front wheels should always be in correct alignment, providing the tracking is set with the car normally loaded.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Peter.N. wrote:I have just fitted a pair of Kleber tyres to the front of my XM, they have the same spec as Michelins and in fact are made by them but are somewhat cheaper.
The Michelin factory in Dundee actually makes Michelin and Kleber tyres on the same machines. They have a common carcass, the only difference between the two brands is the actual tread (rubber compound and pattern). Yes I know the tread makes a big difference but you are getting the same strength and quality in the rest of the tyre.

I am looking for a pair of 205 60 15's for my 2.1TD Xantia estate at the moment. I hate buying tyres. I used to get them free for my car when I worked for Michelin so having to pay for them is always painful :D
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Nieil

Thanks for the update. I thought the tread looked a bit different but according to the Which? tyre test the wear/ride/grip characteristics were identical. I drove another XM fitted with Michelins and was so amazed by the difference in ride that I thought would try them and I am not dissapointed.

I go in more for comfort than speed and so many cars today seem to have a hard ride not helped by the almost solid low profile tyres that now seem to be all the rage, I like my car to drive in not look at! I would probably still be using cross plys if they made them!
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Do you know which kleber tyres you fitted? I might try some.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

where do you get Kleber tyres? Iv never seen them at any of the big chain tyre centers, are they commonly stocked?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

My friendly independant keeps offering me Kleber and stresses to me that they are made by Michelin. I haven't bought any yet - partly as I thought they came from Eastern Europe factory and may have had hard rubber with no wet weather grip or soft rubber that doesn't last.

Perhaps I'll look again - or buy the genuine Michelin if I feel wealthy next time I need some tyres.
jeremy