What should I watch out for when buying a used C5 HDi?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrjohnson
My Cars:

What should I watch out for when buying a used C5 HDi?

Post by mrjohnson »

I'm likely to be buying a C5 HDi hatch 100bhp in the near future, probably with around 100k on the clock & around 2002 vintage.

Aside for the things which apply to all used cars, is there anything in particular I should watch out for, either visually or whilst driving?

Is reliability really as poor as the surveys show?

My trusty Xantia 1.9TD is now 13 years old and it's about time for a change
TOMTOM

Trade up to C5

Post by TOMTOM »

I have just done exactly what you are contemplating. I have traded up from a '95 Xantia 1.9td to a 2002 C5 hdi 110bhp hatchback exclusive with 123k on the clock. The car has full service history and when I contacted the Citroen dealer who carried out all of the services he gave me the full run down on the car and said don't let the milage put you off - if the car looks good and drives ok you should have no problems. (famous last words?)
I can't think of anything in particular that the C5 should be examined for that wouldn't apply to any other car apart from the suspension - just make sure it goes up and down.
As there are so many gizmos on cars these days it takes quite a while to check that they are all working, in my case I made 2 or 3 return visits to the selling dealer (not the service dealer) until I was satisfied.
My car is finished in Forest Green which I think looks great on this car. I know purists throw up their hands in horror at 'fake wood' in cars but I think Citroen have got it just right with the subdued use of wood effect detailing in the C5 exclusive, it makes the car really welcoming inside.
So at £3500 less £300 trade in for my old Xantia it cost me just over 3k to trade up - they even fitted a tow bar for me.
Reliability? - Ask me again in 6 months time, i'm not going to tempt fate by speculating on it at present but if i'd listened to all the scare mongers years ago I would never have bought a Xantia and that was a great car.
At present the forum dosen't receive many posts regarding C5s so maintenance feedback for diy types is pretty scarce - hopefully this will get better as the C5 gradually replaces the Xantia.
I have been in touch with Haynes who say they have no plans in the forseeable future to produce a manual for the C5, however they keep all letters on file to moniter demand. Who knows if enough of us request one they may decide to publish. I know Haynes have come in for a bit of stick from this forum in the past but their manuals are better than nothing - i'd buy one.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Go for it i bought a c5 sx 110 hdi estate in june i love it it drives lovely has all the extras alloys air con dual climate etc etc much nicer car than the Xantia,And so far no problems whatsoever.
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

I haven't got one but am contemplating the purchase of one and the one thing that almost everyone I've spoken to mentions (apart from all the usual suspects of second hand car buying problems) is that the catalyser uses some form of liquid to clean the cat periodically and automatically and this is quite expensive....make sure that on a car with that sort of mileage it is not going to run out and has been replaced. Hope this helps, Mike.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

micitroen wrote:I haven't got one but am contemplating the purchase of one and the one thing that almost everyone I've spoken to mentions (apart from all the usual suspects of second hand car buying problems) is that the catalyser uses some form of liquid to clean the cat periodically and automatically and this is quite expensive....make sure that on a car with that sort of mileage it is not going to run out and has been replaced. Hope this helps, Mike.
That is only the 2.2 (and all the new shape diesels) that have an additive for the particle filter. The liquid used for the filter is very expensive.

I have a 2.0 HDI 110, bought at 6mth old and I've added nearly 60k to it, reliability has been better since the warranty ran out! Touch wood.