Droplink problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Droplink problems

Post by LeeDJC »

I have had ongoing droplink problems on the o/s on my Xantia for the past 6 months now. I have replaced the droplink four times, but after a month or two, it goes again.

I have taken these droplinks back claiming that they're faulty. Again another droplink has just failed.

Just before the first one went, I noticed a knocking on the car, which sounds to me very much like the lower balljoint or wisbone bushes were starting to fail. This has got progressivley worse to a point, where now it's a constant knock mainly on and off the power (no its not the lower engine mount). This is a problem that I'm aware of, but just haven't got round to doing anything about it, as the balljoint is such a sod to change.

Would either a lower balljoint or wishbone bush problem cause premature wear on the droplink?

I really hope so!

Thanks
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

unlikly,i would think the knocking must be your lower swivel
regards malcolm
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I would not think so, the wishbone or strut floating around a little more should not affect the droplinks, are they wearing out or snapping?
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

citronut wrote:unlikly,i would think the knocking must be your lower swivel
regards malcolm
Which part do you mean when you say swivel?
Stewart(oily) wrote:I would not think so, the wishbone or strut floating around a little more should not affect the droplinks, are they wearing out or snapping?
Stewart
They are wearing out and starting to knock
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Are you buying genuine or pattern droplinks? I had two GSF droplinks wear out in less than 10,000 miles, replaced them with Citroen parts, and they lasted 50,000 miles until I sold the car.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

xantia_v6 wrote:Are you buying genuine or pattern droplinks? I had two GSF droplinks wear out in less than 10,000 miles, replaced them with Citroen parts, and they lasted 50,000 miles until I sold the car.
These are pattern parts from a local motor factor. I was considering buying citroen parts, but at £42 each, I wanted to make sure that the ball joint wasn't causing the premature wear.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

LeeDJC wrote:
citronut wrote:unlikly,i would think the knocking must be your lower swivel
regards malcolm
Which part do you mean when you say swivel?
Stewart(oily) wrote:I would not think so, the wishbone or strut floating around a little more should not affect the droplinks, are they wearing out or snapping?
Stewart
They are wearing out and starting to knock
the lower swivel is the joint at the bottom of the hub to the lower susp arm,this is the other loint which causes knocking and cloncking
regards malcolm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Whether OEM or pattern parts.... it is quite common for these parts to snap; usually to be honest on the ball pin itself if fitted.. this is primarily due to material defects.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well all the years i have been fixing car for customers i have never seen a swivel pin sheard off,even on a drop linik,so if this happens it must be due to people over tightening them,although i do remember a track rod end swivel pin shearing years ago in my early days in the garage trade,that was due to me being heavy handed
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I had a noise on my XM which I was almost 100% sure was a faulty droplink, I went to change it only to find I allready had (senior moment) the fault eventually turned out to be the track rod end on the opposite side! and no, I am not going deaf, not yet anyway.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Well, I have just replaced the o/s drop link with a genuine citroen one. £48 all in! All I can say is it better last longer than the others, otherwise it's going straight back!

One thing I did notice that was different with this one, is that is has the M12 thread instead of the M10 - perhaps this was contributing to the early demise of the other links?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

AFAIK there are two different sizes of droplinks, M12 and M10 I think, If you have been fitting the M10 size to M12 car then the bolt will be loose in the hole and will likely flap about unless incredibly tight, then it may break, I think i see a pattern here.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Stewart(oily) wrote:AFAIK there are two different sizes of droplinks, M12 and M10 I think, If you have been fitting the M10 size to M12 car then the bolt will be loose in the hole and will likely flap about unless incredibly tight, then it may break, I think i see a pattern here.
Stewart
So do I! I didn't realise I was fitting the incorrect one, until today. I assumed (silly of me I know) that the motor factors were giving me the correct part.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stewart(oily) wrote:AFAIK there are two different sizes of droplinks, M12 and M10 I think, If you have been fitting the M10 size to M12 car then the bolt will be loose in the hole and will likely flap about unless incredibly tight, then it may break, I think i see a pattern here.
Stewart
yep it certinly dose look that way
regards malcolm
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

citronut wrote:well all the years i have been fixing car for customers i have never seen a swivel pin sheard off,even on a drop linik,so if this happens it must be due to people over tightening them,although i do remember a track rod end swivel pin shearing years ago in my early days in the garage trade,that was due to me being heavy handed
regards malcolm
Fortunately the problem is usually found either on the vehicle production line or during transport to dealership and then found at the pre-delivery inspection..... and of course this is never advertised to the buying public!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate