Power loss

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deejay
My Cars:

Power loss

Post by deejay »

My daughter's recently acquired Xantia 1.9d occasionally and momentarily loses power and then picks up again and continues to run OK. When I opened the bonnet the fuel bulb was sucked in as though by vacuum and it felt as though it was not full of fuel. I squeezed it and it regained its normal shape and then felt full of fuel and the car then ran OK again. I checked the fuel cap and that seems to be in order. It normally runs very smoothly and quietly. I presume this is a sign of fuel shortage but would like to know if anyone has any ideas about what it could be.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

A fuel shortage would not suck the primer bulb in. I would have thought the only thing to do that would be a blockage in the fuel line from tank to primer bulb.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes, I would concur. If you can get the sender/fuel pickup unit out of the tank, check the filter on it. If not, disconnect the fuel line at the engine end and blast some compressed air back down to the tank.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Peter.N. wrote:Yes, I would concur. If you can get the sender/fuel pickup unit out of the tank, check the filter on it. If not, disconnect the fuel line at the engine end and blast some compressed air back down to the tank.
If you fold the rear seats down and lift up the carpet there is a big plastic cover. If you remove it you will see the fuel tank with the pipes comming out. If you unscrew the retaining ring you can remove the fuel sender with the strainer on. You have to unplud the sender unit and disconnect the 2 pipes as well.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
deejay
My Cars:

Power loss

Post by deejay »

Thanks gents, will try and have a go at getting the sender/pickup out at the weekend. will let you know the result.
deejay
My Cars:

Power loss

Post by deejay »

We finally got round to getting the sender/fuel pickup out of the tank and discovered that the filter was almost completely obscured by general rubbish and what looked like part of a latex glove. Carefully cleaned it and put it back and power is now fully restored and is running better than ever. Thanks once again