Radio signal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Radio signal

Post by Ross »

Why is it the radio on the entertainment unit constantly scans from one station to another - it was alright when I bought the car a year ago but now it seems unable to hold a signal for more than a few minutes(seconds) at a time
Does this mean the unit is at the end of its useful life ? or am I doing something wrong ? :(
xantia vsx 1.9td on an L plate
Thanks All
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does it have a control marked AF or something? If it has its supposed to make the thing search for a stronger signal. The other fun one is the TA - trafic announcement which interrupts everything - and on mine turns on the CD when its finished.

Have a good look for strange symbols and letters in the display and try and get rid of them!
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

The RDS system on your radio will search for a stronger signal if the signal it is receiving becomes weak. it could be that you have a dodgy aerial connection which is dropping the signal level generally. check the connector on the back of the unit is pushed home properly. as a temporary "fix" you can turn off the RDS but this will also disable the traffic announcements (is that a bad thing??).

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Which model radio do you have, I've got the original book and from recoding my unit this morning even the coding procedure is different between the 2 models :shock:

regards

davetd
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
Ross
My Cars:

Post by Ross »

Tied removing all the seetings all to no avail - it happily skips all over the place - going to try aeriel socket next
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

If it skips around with the RDS turned off then it can't be down to RDS - ie may not be due to weak signal causing RDS to perform seek. Do you have steering wheel controls for station change? - could be a sticking switch on there. If so, try disconnecting steering wheel controls.

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Try disconnecting the aerial and connecting about 3 feet of wire into the aerial socket, just strip the end back half an inch and bend the wire back on itself and push into the centre hole of the socket. If that improves it, your aerial is faulty.
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Yes check the steering wheel controls, the mute button on the steering wheel of my SX TD performs intermittant tricks some times. I need to buy some more switchlube
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink