Radio signal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross
My Cars:

Radio signal

Post by Ross »

Why is it the radio on the entertainment unit constantly scans from one station to another - it was alright when I bought the car a year ago but now it seems unable to hold a signal for more than a few minutes(seconds) at a time
Does this mean the unit is at the end of its useful life ? or am I doing something wrong ? :(
xantia vsx 1.9td on an L plate
Thanks All
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You don't say which model radio your car has (look in the handbook to match a model with a picture).

You should be able to stop it scanning for stations by turning off the AF option.

If your problem is really that the radio has lost its sensitivity, then the fault is probably in the antenna (which may be broken or corroded internally). It could also be that the preamplifier (fitted to at least some Xantias) fitted at the base of the antenna has failed, greatly reducing the signal to the radio.

It is a bit tricky to get to the antenna amplifier, because you have to lower the front of the headlining a few inches for access, but if you do, you will see a metal can about 35mm diameter and 12mm high, with the antenna wire and one thin wire going into it.

The end of the can has two little holes, which you use to prise off the lid, then you undo the nut inside, and the amplifer comes off (also the antenna). You can refit the antenna without the amplifier, and if the amplifier was faulty, you will find that the signal is better (but not wonderful).