Feeling smug today

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Feeling smug today

Post by np »

My bro in law has a 3 yr old Rover 75 1.8T.I serviced it 5 weeks ago for him,& had to put 3 lts of water in it!Told him all about head gasket probs on this engine.Lo n behold 3 weeks later it blew at 26k,which i diognosed? for him,& main dealer confirmed for the price of £100 :!: .They wanted £1100 to repair it.
He had it done today for the sum of £400.He rang me up this evening,saying he put his foot down,it then made a big farting noise & lost all its power.I knew what it was(smugness :D ),& sure enough,the turbo & intercooler pipes had come off.Soon had it fixed & flying along.He was very impressed with my knowledge,which made me feel even more smug.Untill i owned up & looked like a donkey by telling him i forgot to do the i/cooler pipes up on my Xantia,twice :oops: ,& Peugeot did when they changed my cambelt!This is the 2nd Rover in 18 mths that he`s had the h/gasket go.Trying to get him to go French,& after seeing my new 406 tonight,i think i might be winning him around :D
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I once left those intercooler pipes a bit loose on a Xantia, when the hose blew off it blew my hat off too :) Theres a lot of air rushing through those pipes, nice diagnosis there, convert your bro in law to a frog easily and you can do all his future head gaskets :?
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.