ECU Problem....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jade Falcon
My Cars:

ECU Problem....

Post by Jade Falcon »

I'd like to know if this seems expensive.

First off, October 7th, I took the car up to Glasgow for the model show. The journey went great, but on the road back, coming through Kilmarnock, the car just basically stalled at traffic lights.

I tried restarting, but to no avail. Eventually I called out the RAC and they ran checks. They could see that there was a spark, but fuel wasn't getting to the engine itself. He deduced that there was a problem either with the fuel injector relay or wiring connected to the fuel pump, something like that anyway, but to cut it short, there was no way fuel was getting to the engine.

After getting it taken to my local garage they've said the wires under the left wing are burnt out and the problem lies with the ECU which they say will have to be reconditioned. This also explains why some weeks prior it was a bit hesitant to start in the morning, necessitating the engine to be revved a bit.

The price I've been quoted for the job is approximately £250. Does this seem a lot?

Thanks.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I see that the car is an XM. Why have the wires burnt out? Or have they suffered other damage? I ask as on the Xantia there is a bundle of wires running under the front somewhere nicely enclosed in split trunking which fills with water and corrodes the wires.

If the problem is in fact caused by corrosion then repairing the wires may cure the problem.

There are various ECU reconditioners around.

http://www.bba-reman.com/

www.carelect.demon.co.uk
jeremy
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

I don't know why it's burnt out, but the mechanic does say that the wires burnt out from heat rather than from water damage. He also says that the fact I've had to change the fuse twice recently in the underbonnet fuse box that is Aircon supply fuse could be connected, although not a cause of the problem as such.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback