xantia heater cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

_kid_

xantia heater cable

Post by _kid_ »

Ive a problem with the air re-circulate cable on the heater control panel. (The one for the fresh air/re-circulate cable)

It has become kinked, ive tried straightening it but now its a total mess and wont work, so i need to change the cable.

The cable end at the heater panel is easy to remove, but does anyone know where the other end is and how i can access it. If I can access it and remove it I can purchase one from the scrappy. All i can see is the cable travels towards the driver’s side.
Haynes is not to much in depth on this.
currently no citroens :-(
1.4 2000 forte now gone too
xantia 1.8i 16v dimension 1996P now gone,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure where all the cables terminate,but if you go to the breakers you can experiment on one there,i think to buy new ones they come as a complet set (not cheap)and you cant buy them seperatly
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I expect its a monofilament centre cable (single wire) with a plastic or plastic covered spring steel wire outer.

If you've got an old section of cable and are handy you may be able to copy the original and make another. If you need a loop end - trap a bit too much inner cable in a vice with a nail or rod of the correct diameter to make the hole and wind round - then cut off the free end.

Woolworths and ironmongers used to sell spring curtain wire for net curtains - which bears a remarkable resemblance to the outer cover - but may be too thick to fit under the clips. Hard plastic tube may do but some may be too soft and will groove with use and may trap the inner cable on bends eventually - but may be ok for light duty heater controls.

Some choke and other controls have single inner cables and you may even be able to find a replacement in an accessory shop - with about 2 meteres of cable - shame to waste the knob and fittings but it may save you hours of hunting around for a suitable cable.
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I kept all the cables off the Xantia estate I recently scrapped - they're all
knotted around the central dash area onto the heater box. I'll have a look
to see if I kept them or an older set retained/attached to the heater box
and if so get some pics for you - I'll have the cables spare too!

What does PR.net say?

Andrew
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

The recirc flap can be accessed on mine by removing the passenger side airbag and glovebox, it's behind the bulkhead where the fresh air intake scoop is. The cable does a u turn from the control panel, you can probably see it if you remove the lining under the glove box where the cabin filter is.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

this is from pr.net

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 428150.gif

not much help really, no indication as to the where the cable goes
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

As I still have the whole fascia off due to my heater matrix job, it was easy for me to go have a look at the cable routing. I can't really advise on access as I'm sure you don't really want to take your fascia off.

Anyway the cable goes round the bottom, by the heater fan, then goes up round the back of all the ducting etc and back onto the control wheel, which is just to the right of the recirc flap.

About 3 inches before the cable reaches that control wheel, it goes through a metal clip attached to the ducting which has been crimped down to hold it in place, so you will need a screwdeiver etc. to loosen that crimp, you should see it when you see the control wheel.

Hope that helps, I can take photos when daylight returns if that helps.

Richard
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Lexia ponce

SteveG

Post by SteveG »

[quote="andmcit"]What does PR.net say?[/quote
Being a newbie to the Citroen cause I haven't come across PR.net before. How does one register? The registration form appears to suggest you need a fax number ... and I don't have one :(
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

use your imagination :lol:

Lexia ponce

_kid_

Post by _kid_ »

Thank you all

Ive had a look and its goes towards the drivers side then turns round towards the passenger side (and is rooted behind the radio) and from the noise of flaps i hear ends below the glovebox.

Unfortunately my hands are not that small! So i will place the cable between the ashtray and the keypad immobiliser, and simply manually pull or push the cable form fresh air re-circulate as and when required. Though and it will be hidden from view, so not too much of a problem. Its mainly left on fresh air anyhow.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

SteveG wrote:
andmcit wrote:What does PR.net say?[/quote
Being a newbie to the Citroen cause I haven't come across PR.net before. How does one register? The registration form appears to suggest you need a fax number ... and I don't have one :(
no you dont need a fax line,you are ment to be and inipendant car repairer,as i am,i think there has been talk on here of some peop;e fakeing it
i also think you need your local citroen parts man on your side,as you have to register your local cit agent
regards malcolm