Bottom ball joint heat shield.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Bottom ball joint heat shield.

Post by user_3150 »

Does it need to be refitted when putting new bottom balljoints on. The original will not go back on for love nor money. I have got a price for a new one but can't begin to think of the hassle I will have trying to fit it. I did the other side last summer and still get flashbacks. For now I have left it off as we need the car on a daily basis. Would it be possible to leave it off? You ideas and thoughts greatly appreciated.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Bin it, i wouldnt even waste any time on it.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its there for a reason : to avoid the balljoint being boiled out from the brakes heat. You wont know until MOT finds clearance again in the balljoint.

If you dont have a really good balljoint separator tool - one of those that dont damage the rubber bellow - then :
Support the joint bolt end on something solid : build up a stable support using wood or bricks, then place a piece of heavy steel (at least 6mm thickness) directly under the bolt end. Protect the threads by winding on a nut from the old joint to the start of the bolt threads.

Now release all your aggressions onto to the lower control arm using a big hammer or mallet.
The shield is simply tapped into place.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Anders you should refit a heat shield,all you need to do to fit it is split the lower swivel slot the new shield on and peen it at several points into the slot all the way around the swivel joint,the easyes way to split the swivel from the arm is undo the nut to the very last couple of threads so it winds by finger,no whack the side of the eye at the end of the arm,i use this method all the time
regards malcolm
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine have been gone for years......if the brakes were generating enough heat to boil the balljoint grease you'd be having serious brake problems, like fire!

Interestingly, Citroen don't call them heatshields-I'm not exactly sure what their purpose is, but I doubt it's there as a heatshield.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it must be a heat shield,if it were for any other purpose it would go all the way around the lower swivel,and front discs do produce a lot of heat even when working corectly
regards malcolm
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Thanks for the replies. Although it's a 50/50 split at the moment. I bought a new shield today so I will give it a try over the weekend. But if no success I don't think I will be overly worried.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

For a BX the official description seems to be - 'Guard - sheet metal'

Trust that further confuses the matter.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Surely it's not a good idea to leave something like that out, regardless of what it might do ? I know if it was me I wouldn't want to be deliberately leaving something out which might or might not cause unnecessary problems somewhere down the track....usually that kind of thing comes back to bite you at a later date! :?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree - it must be there for a purpose. Somebody made it, its carried as spares and seems to be a feature of a number of models - which means its unlikely to be a bit of eccentric thinking on by one designer.
jeremy
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Seems I may have opened a can of worms sorry. I tried to get it on today but it was impossible. I may have a go tommorrow but I think |I need another sheild as I have butchered it a bit. I must be honest it's getting a bit stressfull trying to get it on. I do remember doing the other side last year and it drove me mad, the balljoint has been a walk in the park as they say, but this sheild aarrggghhh.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy with a new shield gose on very easy,then all you do is peen it in several places into the slot around the body of the swivel joint
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Alec - remove the brake disc on your next attempt ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

AndersDK wrote:Alec - remove the brake disc on your next attempt ...
Anders
the only thing with that is the side of the shield which faces the disc is not
peened,so i dont thing this will help
regards malcolm
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Alec wrote:I tried to get it on today but it was impossible. I may have a go tommorrow .
Forget about it then,dont give yourself the hassle & stress :twisted:
Iv never re-fitted one & iv never had a problem.