Xantia Rear Ride Height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nesssalmon

Xantia Rear Ride Height

Post by nesssalmon »

Hi my Xantia (1996 1.9TD estate SX) will not rise this morning to the 'Normal' ride height at the rear.

The rear will drop to the 'Low' Setting and rise to the 'High Setting' but the rear will not go into the 'Normal' driving height. Mnnn :(

I have had a quick look under the car at the rear and the 'Clip' that gets pushed forwards and backward seems to be broken in the middle/bottom. Is this normal?

I have checked the LHM Fluid level and this seems to be OK. (Check on high - float in the middle)

Does this sound indicative of any particular problem :shock:

Many Thanks
Robert
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hi Robert,

It's more than likely that the springs and linkages that interact with the hydraulic height corrector are corroded and stiff.

My Xantia displayed the same symptoms last winter and freeing this up sorted it out.

If the height corrector has died altogether it's not too bad a job to replace it but I would try to free it first to avoid the expense of buying another.

The little white link arm can be pocketed at your friendly scrappy.

Remember that when playing with the height corrector, flat on your back under the car is not a good place to be. Stick the back end on some ramps or do it over a pit for preference.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

stevenlizuk wrote:Hi Robert,

The little white link arm can be pocketed at your friendly scrappy.

Cheers

Steve
Hi. Whilst I agree with everything that Steve says... I would caution against using a clip from the scrappy. Good practise dictates that a new one should be used every time!! Even removing this clip once damages the plastic 'socket' causing it to be prone to becoming detached too easily.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
nesssalmon

Thanks

Post by nesssalmon »

Thanks for your help guys.

I think I will try and free the linkages etc, and see if that helps.

Cheers
Robert :wink:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

even if you free off the kinkage you will still need the new plastic link rod,they only cost a couple of squide from citroen
regards malcolm
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

I had the height corrector metal arm from the anti-rool bar clamp sheer off. I replaced it and the plastic link for £23 from Citroen. If you do have to replace this make a significant mark on the anti-roll bar so you can get correct ride height. My rear is a little high now - low headlights. It's difficult (lying on your back - following previous safety notes), a small rotation of clamp on roll bar makes a significant height change. NOTE: - If it is the clamp assembly, Measure diameter of anti-roll bar before going to Citroen as there are two sizes - 24mm and a smaller one. I had to come home and measure up.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
nesssalmon

Thanks - Any good diagrams

Post by nesssalmon »

Thanks again for all of your help.

Does anyone have a link to a decent/clear diagram of the rear height corrector and all of the linkages etc? My Haynes manual doesnt seem to be all that helpful.

Cheers
Robert
1998 Grand Espace 2.2 TD 'S' Reg
SteveG

Re: Thanks - Any good diagrams

Post by SteveG »

nesssalmon wrote:Thanks again for all of your help.

Does anyone have a link to a decent/clear diagram of the rear height corrector and all of the linkages etc? My Haynes manual doesnt seem to be all that helpful.

Cheers
Robert
Hi Robert, try doing a search on this forum for ride height. There's a really clear diagram of the height corrector mechanism which I downloaded recently - but I can't remember exactly where from. Alternatively, pm me with a valid email address and I'll email it to you.

HTH
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

With a bit of luck, the rear one is at top right. :mrgreen:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389