Water in footwell not heater matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Water in footwell not heater matrix

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

I seems there's a substantial amount of water finding it's way into the passenger footwell when it rains. I've removed the carpet and soundproofing from just there. I cut across the soundproofing just under where the big round plastic thingy is (air con or heater pipes?). After it's rained the soundproofing that goes up behind the dash is soaking on the foam side. Is this a common fault on Xantias? Is it likely to be the windscreen that's leaking?

Thanks.

Steve.
not applicable
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If the plastic scuttle panel is not sealed to the windscreen properly, water runs behind it and straight down into the car. Water can also leak in if the scuttle drain is blocked.
Richard W
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

So that's why it's bonded to the screen then?

Haynes didn't mention this when I took it off to clean out all the trapped leaves. What a pillock I feel now!

Steve.
not applicable
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had this problem a while back i just ran a small bead of clear silicon around the panel and hasn't leaked since.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Oh thanks guys!

I'll get this sorted ASAP then I can put the carpets back, etc.

Steve.
not applicable
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

Just finished doing this before it got dark. I took the panel off again and cleaned it & the windscreen of an old sealer, run a thick bead on the plastic and re-seated it then wiped off the excess.
It looks as if without the sealant water drips off the bottom of the windscreen and into the air intake duct. Guess the new pollen filter will be pretty soggy too.

Thanks again. :(
not applicable
WELSHVIKING
My Cars:

Post by WELSHVIKING »

Same problem with my old xantia hdi, it was so wet in the car i managed to catch 4 rainbow trout, 2 cod and 14 sticklebacks. Fixing the shuttleboard on was the easy part. drying out the car was a bloody nightmare !!!!!
CURRENT CARS:-
2019 CITROEN C3 AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 110BHP MANUAL (WIFES CAR)
2020 CITROEN AIRCROSS 1.2 FLAIR PURETECH 130BHP AUTO (MY CAR)
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

That's quite a catch!

The carpet and sound proofing had been drip drying in the garage for 2 weeks so they were nice and dry. I dried the soundproofing that I didn't remove by placing a towel behind it and squeezing it against it. It was surprising just how noisy the Xantia was with just a small amount of soundproofing removed.
not applicable
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

The Xantia's wet in the footwell again. I think I'll take out and leave out the passenger seat and carpets until I've found the new leak. I've read that after drying off the floorpan sprinkling with talcum powder can help trace the route the water has taken.

Is it known for water to get in via the door window if the membrane under the door card has been off?

Any other pointers welcome.

Thanks.
not applicable
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

There are holes along the bottom of the door (above the sill when closed) if they get blocked the water can get in..

On the ZX there is a recess up against the bulkhead on the passengers side that has the wiring harness going down through it, if that is sealed with a rubber gromit the whole thing fills up like a pond (Thats where Welshies fish came from :lol: ) If the Xantia is the same, get a stick and shove the gromit down till it lets the water out.. You don't need the gromit.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.