Bouncy Bouncy Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

josamolly

Bouncy Bouncy Xantia

Post by josamolly »

I have an M reg Xantia Diesel and its like driving a bouncy castle at the moment. The rear looks fine so i suspect something isn't working to well at the front. The suspension goes to its highest and lowest levels fine, the front just bounces about when i'm driving along..

Normally i wouldn't bother to much about it but the wife nearly knocked herself out last week so i need to get it done..

any clues people..
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Sounds like it needs new spheres to me.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

thanks.. are these expensive? and how easy are they to fit..
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Search this forum for more info, GSF sell them for under £20 each.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

basicly they just unscrew,but you must depresurise the system first,then you need a fairly substantual pipe chain wrench,once you have them off smear some cleane LHM aronud the seal surface before refitting the new spheres,do them up just a bit more than hand tight
regards malcolm
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Bad or leaking spheres would make the ride harder not softer wouldn't it?

As the spheres lose gas the spring is lost due to the gas volume becoming smaller in the sphere.

What could be wrong with the spheres to make the car bouncy?

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Car becomes bouncy when the spheres are flat - even better seen at night when the headlight beams dance all over the place.

Basically its got no suspension - and the bounce is caused by a combination of pitch, undamped compression of tyres, and compression of various bits of rubber bushings and stops (strut tops) as well as bodywork flexing.

Sort it quickly before something else gets damaged.
jeremy
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

If its just the fronts it will take less than 5 minutes each to replace, it did me, and i'd never done any before :D
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
pie eater
My Cars:

Post by pie eater »

Josamolly,

If you're near Manchester, take the car to Westroen in South Manchester. They will replace any flat spheres with recon ones for £25 each, fitted, and guaranteed for 3 years. They've just done all 6 on my Xantia. Wow - bounce gone, magic carpet back. Fantastic. :)

The Pie Eater.
C5 2.2HDI Exclusive
Xantia 2.0HDI SX
Eunos Roadster (I'm sure theres enough room under the bonnet for that HDI)
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

Thanks guys.. i'll give this a crack at the weekend, fed up of banging my head..