Draining Xantia coolant ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Draining Xantia coolant ?

Post by Mandrake »

Hi All,

I'm in the middle of doing the cambelt and replacing the water pump on my Xantia (2 litre 8 valve petrol) and I've run into a problem draining the coolant - I've drained 6 litres from the main drain point at the bottom left of the radiator, (with the various air bleeds open) but according to the Haynes manual there is a "coolant drain plug" on the rear of the engine block, and since the total coolant is 8 litres there should be about another 2 litres that should drain from it. (The car is also up on stands so is leaning back away from the radiator a bit)

Unfortunately they dont say where on the rear of the block, or what it looks like, (and no pictures) and I can't find anything there. :evil:

Am I just blind or is it another case of the Haynes BOL telling porkies ? It says the 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines have the drain plug on the front of the block, is it possible its there instead of the back ? Or that it doesn't even exist ? :roll:

Am I likely to get 2 litres of coolant gushing out when I remove the pump if I can't find this drain plug ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

disconect the bottom hose at the engine end,then you should get most of what is left out,i dont know if you will get it all out that way,there should be a drain plug at the rear of the engine just above the sump joiunt line quite low on the block,well at least there is on the diesels
regards malcolm
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

If the block drain plug is anything like the diesels it's just a normal bolt. Look for a 13mm (I think!) bolt that doesnt appear to do anything! It's at the back of the block low down as Malcolm says. You'll get a far amount of coolant out of it - so beware. I was surprised when I undid mine! If you're changing the coolant it is certainly worth finding.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Ok I've taken a few photos, hopefully you guys can help me identify things!

The rear of the engine along the sump line:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... e-rear.jpg

Can't see anything of interest here!

The right hand side under the cambelt:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... -right.jpg

Anyone know what the circled bolt is ? Seems a stupid place to put it so I don't think thats it...

The front of the engine:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... -front.jpg

Whats the bolt above the oil filter ? It has a copper washer under it. Seems a bit too high up for coolant draining ?

A side view showing where the lower hose goes into the block:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... erhose.jpg

Nothing of interest here either!

So does it just not have a drain plug ? Wouldn't be the first time the Haynes manual has stuffed up model specific variations!!!

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Simon,

If it was there, you would be able to see if in your first pic. I found it on a TD, but it was hidden behind the drive shaft and turbo oil pipes, so I left it alone. It is shown on the pr.net drawing of the 1.9TD block, but not the 2.0, so I guess it's a BOL of red herring. Just whip the pump out, being prepared for some coolant to drop out on your head!
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

picy 2 will be an oil gallery drilling and picy 3 is an oil gallery as you can see it has a raised bit in the castting going down to the oil filter,it dose seem you aint got one,as i sid earlyer if you pull the bottom hose off at the engine end you will get most of the coolant out as it goes to the water branch at the bottom of the block
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

A drain plug arrowed on picture A, where you don't have one: :?

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Thanks guys,

Looks like another Book of Lies lie exposed, as I suspected!! Good to know I'm not going crazy, and not quite as stupid as I look. :lol:

So I will either try malcolms idea of disconnecting the bottom hose, or just be prepared for water to come out of the pump housing. The only problem with disconnecting the hose is that its in the most awkward place possible thanks to the driveshaft transfer bearing housing, and I'm a little bit weary of disturbing a water hose that probably hasn't been off since new unless I really have to.

Regards,
Simon

PS I can't read that french Cloggz, but I get the impression that the picture with the drain plug is talking about OLD versions of the engine ? Perhaps the plug was deleted on later blocks ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd take the water pump off, then find a hose on the engine side of the thermostat as it wer near the top of the engine - and flush it through there. Your only problem is the leaky water pump - so its not as though you have loads of oil to clear out.

This method may enable you to flush the heater element.

Another method is simply to re-assemble with the new pump, start it with plain water, let the engine agitate everything for a few minutes, turn off and let the water out by removing a big hose - and hopefully it will take the muck with it.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the bottom hose is easy and you gain acsess under the wheel arch,and if the clamp has been fitted with the screw facing the back you can use a 7mm socket either way,dont usualy have any problems with this hose
regards malcolm
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Mandrake wrote:can't read that french … talking about OLD versions of the engine ? Perhaps the plug was deleted on later blocks ?
The French wasn’t meant to be read; otherwise I would have posted translations.
It’s nothing of relevance; water pump change, drain and refill procedure.
No explanations as to what vintage it applies to.

Never been under my car, and don’t even know if my vintage has the plug, but my mechanic told me yonks ago that draining the block couldn’t be done, and that it held a bit over one litre of coolant.
Draining from the radiator was supposed to be ‘sufficient’, providing that it got done in time.
That’s what I’ve always done, and the old coolant has always looked clean and green as new.

Castrol ‘Radicool’ with 33% glycol used to say that the coolant should be replaced every 40,000 km, or every 2 years irrespective of mileage.
Now it says 3 years, and it’s still 33% glycol. :?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389